Mordecai's cryptorchid

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mordecai

Reaction score
Mordecai had a checkup last Saturday by our regular exotic vet. And he said Mordecai only had one descended testicle. He suggested he get neutered as cryptorchidism increases chances of cancer. Does anyone else have experience with cryptorchid rabbits? Mordecai shows no typical intact buck behavior, but if neutering will lower his chances of cancer, then we're going to have it done.

I haven't had a bun with this but have read that it can increase cancer risks. If your bun is still young, maybe it could possibly still descend? If not, neutering is probably the best option.

How old is he? Rabbits have an incomplete inguinal ring which means that, like rats, they can actually pull their testicles back into their abdomen when they want to. He may truly be cryptorchid or may just appear that way at the time. I've seen neuters where the rabbit needs to be picked up so the testicle can drop back into the scrotum after they're anesthetized.

That said, I too have read of increased risks with cryptorchids and would recommend the neuter.

I'm not really sure how old he is. He was a stray we found last year. We know he's an adult, not a baby but not a senior. The vet said it could be once he's put under, the testicle will drop. I think we'll just get him neutered and stop the problem before it arises. Not that I have anything against spaying/neutering, I'm just worried because it could potentially be a more complicated surgery. And if he wasn't potentially cryptorchid, we most likely wouldn't bother getting him neutered. He doesn't spray, hump or act aggressively, and we have no other rabbits.

Latest posts

Back