MooShu and her lump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know in humans that some fruits and grains have been attributed to fatty cysts, especially in women. I totally remember more info than that, but you could be on the right track re: diet. Some humans have found salmon oil and certain teas to shrink cysts. That obviously won't work for rabbits though. I will keep my ears open on this one...

Hi Jim, from what I have heard, it depends on whether she has a "sebaceous cyst" or a "lipoma". Either way, if they are removed completely, by excision (cutting out), they usually don't re-form. If they have been suctioned on the other hand, which I believe was done with MooShu, they have a very high chance of re-forming. Same if they aren't removed completely.
So I guess if you want it removed, you'd have to take a chance on a minor surgery.
You could always consider leaving it, since they are usually benign, don't hurt, and don't grow.

Thanks for the input...:thanks:

Hazel-Mom wrote:
Hi Jim, from what I have heard, it depends on whether she has a "sebaceous cyst" or a "lipoma".
The vet diagnosed it as a benign lipoma.

Hazel-Mom wrote:
If they have been suctioned on the other hand, which I believe was done with MooShu, they have a very high chance of re-forming.

Yes, DrC aspirated it...mostly to see if he could determine what it was.

Hazel-Mom wrote:
Either way, if they are removed completely, by excision (cutting out), they usually don't re-form.
So I guess if you want it removed, you'd have to take a chance on a minor surgery.
You could always consider leaving it, since they are usually benign, don't hurt, and don't grow.

Those are the things I want to talk to DrC about.

It really doesn't seem to be bothering her...even when I mess with it.

And, she's looking good, too :coolness:.....shiny coat, bright eyes...
...she even binkied for dinner last night!:nod

Hi Jim, the thing Hazel has was diagnosed as a Lipoma as well. Her vet didn't recommend removing it, she usually just leaves them be, and told us to just keep an eye on it.
She's had it for 4 years now, and it doesn't bother her at all. It also hasn't grown or changed.
A fatty cyst (or cebasious cyst) is not the same as a lipoma btw, so the dietary reasons for forming fatty cysts may not even apply to lipomas.

I had to cancel the vet appointment.
Stayed home from work and slept most of the day.

I've got some kind of stomach virus/flu...been fighting it off since Friday (i think).
Every time I think I'm better, it starts all over again.

Been letting a lot of bunny chores slip the last few days...which doesn't help because then they pile up.
The "WEE THREE PEE" group isn't helping either :grumpy:....I go in to do some small chore and end up spending 45 minutes cleaning up piddle puddles.

Anywho...

Moosh is doing okay.
The lump seems about the same. It hasn't gotten bigger and doesn't seem to bother her. Being that it's a lipoma, I think we're going to let itbe for now. Asprirating/draining it will most probably result in it reforming.
I'd only opt for surgical removed if absolutely necessary....she's over 5 years old and I'd be concerned about anesthesia.

Jim, we had that stomach bug a month or so ago. Lexi and I were sick for a weekend, but Luke ended up being sick off and on for 2 weeks. He was eating peanut butter and cheesecrackers during this time.... I hope you didn't get something bad! The doc believes Luke got some bad peanut butter product and it made his worse.

Today I noticed that there was some discoloration at the aspiration site.

I can't understand how I could have not seen it before today.
It looks like it might be bruising from the procedure....a straight line.... in line with the location of the tumor.
Or, it could be from when they shaved the area and might have caught the skin....however the site it quite smooth and doesn't indicate any surface trauma.

The tumor is still about the same size....it's changed a little in shape, but I'd kind of expect that from a lipoma.

I'm puzzled.:?

I was able to get some halfway decent pics.
Moosh let me brush the fur away, and then sat verrrry still while I took them....such a good girl.
I'm pretty sure it's most probably a reaction to the fine needle aspiration.

See?....

IMG_2463rr.jpg

And the same pic with the bruise outlined in blue

IMG_2463br.jpg

....annnd the same pic with the tumor outlined in red

IMG_2463hl.jpg

Jim, could it be a line of new hair coming in? Bo gets funky colors like that where he has a bald spot when molting..... his hair comes out as it turns about that color then a day or two later it's fur.....

She was going through a heavy shed/molt a week or two before the vet visit.
I thought it was new fur growing in until I checked it closer.

It's the skin. A blue-green color.

It's in the area that they shaved, and the fur hasn't started to grow back much at all.
It's smooth and soft like the surrounding skin.

Here's another pic that might show the color better...I'm stretching the skin a little, so it looks bigger.

IMG_2459.jpg

Poor girl. Were you there when they did the aspiration? did they hold her there funny? It almost looks like a thumbnail or something dug in there a bit.

It's a little stretched out of shape in that last pic.

I got another really good look at it...no pics, sorry.

There'sno obvioussurface trauma...it's under the surface of the skin.
I can't feel any difference compared to the surrounding area (ie; no swelling, hardness, etc)
It's very fine at the top and then gets wider as it get towards the bottom.
***similar tothe color of a reeeealyold tattoo***

It looks like it'spossibly from inserting the needle and moving it around.
I'm guessing it worked like a liposuction procedure....which commonly results in some swelling and bruising.

I wasn't there when they did it.
They said she was very good, didn't move or fuss, and stayed still until they were done.

It's beenover a week now.

The tumor has gotten bigger...and the bruise, too.

We'll most probably be going back to see DrC for a check.

I really have to feel the tumor to realize the way it's growing.
It's not bulging out so that it's more visibly noticeable.
It's spreading out,and in an envelopein the fold of skin below/behind her shoulder.

The bruise has doubled in size.
It's still smooth and soft.
I'mpretty surethat the aspiration procedure was the cause....but I'll feel better with DrC's consult.

She looks really good.
Eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing like normal.

Every time I look at her I realize what a unique and pretty bun she is.
All shiny and smooth now....finished blowing her coat!
I can always see some of the "Dutchy" things about her....one white Dutchy foot...a very fine white line of a Dutch collar....and those absolutely Dutchy ears!!!
We wish we knew what breed her daddy was.

Latest posts

Back