MooShu and her lump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
Baby MooShu has a lump :(

She was out for some freetime and I decided to brush her before putting her back.

On her left side, between her front shoulder and her ribs, I found a lump.

Feels likeit may be anabscess.... about the size of small grape.

She'll need to go see Dr.C...but she's never been out of the house since we've had her.
She's NEVER been in a carrier...but she'll have to be in one for the ride and wait at the vet.

We brought her home 5 years ago when she was a baby..... along with her mommy, S'more.

:sigh:

I hope that's all it is! Bo had a tiny little thing on his back the last time he saw the vet and she said they do get little fat deposits like that sometimes.

:pray:

Jim, I'm thinking of you and her.... it's been a rough time for you.:hug:

angieluv wrote:
Isthe lump really hard Jim ?
It's firm, but not real hard.
It's kind of squishy.
It moves and doesn't seem to be attached.
And it doesn't seem to cause her pain if I mess with it.

angieluv wrote:

I think that you've had enough of "lumps" for 1 year
What a shame :(

Could it be a fatty cyst ?
It feels just like the abscess that Binky had removed a couple of years ago.
Chippy's lump was unique cyst, so I don't think I can use that as a comparison.
I think I'll have to let the vet figure this one.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I hope that's all it is! Bo had a tiny little thing on his back the last time he saw the vet and she said they do get little fat deposits like that sometimes.

:pray:

Jim, I'm thinking of you and her.... it's been a rough time for you.:hug:

I think this is too big and developed too fast to be a fatty deposit.
I brush Moosh at least once a week and haven't noticed until now. I could have overlooked it, but I'm usually pretty thorough.

Dr.C won't be in until next week.
I'll monitor her closely to see if the lump increases in size or changes in any way.
I can take her in as an emergency if needed

On a side note:
Chippy seems to has recovered completely and the cyst has not reformed.
She has some scar tissue, and her fur grew in kind of wonky.
But, I think she's deserving of a clean bill.

Don't rule out the fatty deposits, though. Hazel has one that developed quite sudden, and grew quite big.
The vet did a needle biopsy on it, and it turned out just a fatty deposit.
I hope for you and MooShu that this is what it is.

naturestee wrote:
Is there another good bunny vet you could see earlier than next week?

Good thoughts going to you and MooShu!

My old vet is available tomorrow and Saturday, but she's quite expensive (Banfield Pet Hospital).

The Oradell Animal Hospital has a good exotic vet that treats rabbits, but the hospital itself has a bad reputation.

I trust Dr.C completely and he gives me a BIG break in charges.
He did Chippy's laser surgery for $88.
And he is available 24/7 for emergencies.
He took Saturday's off for the summer and hired an associate....but the associate doesn't treat any exotics.
I'll have to call and see if he's working Saturday's again ***crosses fingers***

Thanks for all of the words of wisdom and well wishes.

This is the only pic I can find of Moosh....a lot of pics seem to have disappered from my blog :(

IMG_2048.jpg

JimD wrote:
....a lot of pics seem to have disappered from my blog :(

I think it's my own fault.:twitch:

The missing pics were most probably attached right from my PC instead of a host site (ie; Photobucket):foreheadsmack:

I still have all of the originals, but it would take me forever to match the right pic to the posts.

I've pretty much trashed my own blog.
I guess it's time for a new one.

C'est la vie :eek:hwell:

When did you lose them?

I hope not recently?

When we moved in mid-07, volunteers saved a bunch of attachments to Photobucket that never got restored.

Here's easy fix vibes for pics and MooShu!

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
When did you lose them?

I hope not recently?

When we moved in mid-07, volunteers saved a bunch of attachments to Photobucket that never got restored.

Here's easy fix vibes for pics and MooShu!

sas :clover:

Thanks for the vibes, sas.

I can't be sure about when the pics went missing, but I think they were there before the move.

Not to worry though....I have backup of all my photos....and it was time I started a new blog.

Speaking of that....I see the blog links were fixed....YAY!!
Do you know what the new tags are to make it work??

I agree... don't rule out the fatty cyst. They are not that uncommon ... and I've seen them get pretty big pretty fast. And the location you describe is where I've seen them too.

If you have another vet who might do a needle aspiration of cells this week, it might give you peace of mind. If it's just fatty stuff, you will probably still want to have it removed, but could relax while waiting to see your regular vet.

Sending good energy your way!

Kathy Smith

The earliest Dr.C can see her is Tuesday evening.

The Banfield vet can see her as a walk-in tomorrow...which means we go and wait for an opening....could be several hours wait time.
They'll want to put her under general anesthesia for the aspiration.
She's 5 years old, so that worries me.
Then they'll charge me for an office visit, the aspiration, lab (mandatory Banfield procedure), plus incidentals (ie; anesthesia,hazardous waste disposal, surgical supply materials, etc.). And then it can take up to a week to get results back. They also charge for follow-up visits.
The bill will be around $750....and that's without removal or treatment.

Dr.C will probably opt to remove it.
He may or may not send out a sample to the lab....it depends on what he finds.
The bill for the major laser surgery he did on Chippy only cost $88.
He didn't even charge me for the 3 aspirations or the one minor surgery, and only charged me for some of the meds & lab work.
The total bill was less than $500 (mostly from the lab charges).

Moosh is doing fine and doesn't seem to be bothered by the lump at all.
She's eating/drinking/pooping/peeing normal, and was doing binkies all over the place last night. She even seemed to enjoy getting brushed!

What the...? You'd think with Banfield being a chain that the prices would be lower due to bulk purchases, etc. Fey's overnight stay at the emergency hospital was less than what they'd chargeyou for a simple needle aspiration. I guessBanfield's pricing is just like Petsmart's- higher for no reason.

If your vet does find that the lump needs to be removed, you can ask about have kidney/liver blood tests done. My vet will do just those instead of a full blood panel for otherwise healthy animals about to have surgery and it costs a lot less than the full panel. It will ease your mind, as the liver and kidneys are the organs most likely to have issues with anesthesia besides the heart.

5 year old Loki has had several dental surgeries needing full anesthesia in the last year. He always does fine and doesn't even seem groggy after he wakes up.

I'm glad she's feeling well despite causing so much worry! Does she mind when you touch the lump or does it not bother her?

naturestee wrote:
I'm glad she's feeling well despite causing so much worry! Does she mind when you touch the lump or does it not bother her?

It doesn't seem to bother her very much at all when I mess with it.

And she's a very sensitive/insecure bun to begin with.

A bit of background info:

Danielle reminded me that we had taken Mooshu to the vet when she was about 8 months old.

There was a major mix-up about Mooshu's sex when we adopted her/him, and we took her/him to Banfield for a general exam and sexing.

At that exam it was determined that "he" was female, and most likelyintact ...and not a fixed male as the shelter had ultimately told us.
They also found that she has reversed splayed hind legs (aka knock-kneed), and impaired vision and hearing.

Moosh is very happy and content, as long as she'sin familiar surroundings.

Latest posts

Back