Moody Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsdesigns

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Audra and I have two bunnies. Suri is the oldest she's a harlequin Rex and she's 14 months old. And Fergie is a satin broken harlequin Rex and she's 8 months old. Both Suri and Fergie are from the same mom so they are half sisters. I had introduced Fergie to Suri and I could tell that Suri was definitely going to be more dominate one. They both have their own cages but I let them play together when is free time. Right now I'm dealing with some moody behavior from both of them. Especially Suri. She's has always seemed to be a grumpy bunny ever sense I had gotten her. She's the first one that I've had to be so vocal with grunting. And now Fergie is starting it. Suri has also started to pluck out her fur when I think she's near her period. Neither one of my rabbits have been around males. Is it possible that Suri may think Fergie is a male or could it be that I could affect her with my own hormones. Because I've notice Suri gets like this when it's near my monthly time. This is the first for me with this type of behavior.

rabbits dont get periods. (i asked this a week ago because i was not sure)
but i think you should both get them spayed.
there hormones are making it worse

and the fact that one is pulling fur, is that she is having a fake pregnatcy.
i hope i can help more.

some girl bunnies if together might fight if not spayed.

Are they spayed?

If they are not spayed, then spaying them should help with some of those behaviours.

It might be that you have some very sensitive buns there, so it's very possible they are picking up on your hormones. Although, it may not actually be your hormones as such, more the way you feel? I.e. if you get PMS, then they may pick up on that and react accordingly to your stressy feelings.

Elena is right, rabbit's don't have periods. They are induced ovulators, so ovulate when mated (although they do get times when they are more receptive to males). It may be that your girl is dying to mate and have babies.

Siblings may also have the same characteristics, so given that one is vocal, it's not a surprise the other is becoming vocal, as time goes by you might find they have other similar characteristics too. I have two sisters that chatter quite happily to me, but none of my others do, really.

It sounds like a lot of their behaviour could be curved with a spay, if they are not spayed already.

Also, be aware that they may not have been sexed correctly and you may have a real pregnancy on your hands. We have a lot of gender fairy visits, so it's not that uncommon. :)

Elf Mommy wrote:
Also, be aware that they may not have been sexed correctly and you may have a real pregnancy on your hands. We have a lot of gender fairy visits, so it's not that uncommon. :)
oh, i nver thought of that!
sure look under both. its not hard to miss.....:expressionless:biggrin2:

MOST DEFINITELY RECHECK SEXES!

I can't tell you how many of us have had the "gender fairy" visit our bunnies!

wow the gender fairy she is a shocker ;). My Lou who i thought was a girl well... the gender fairy had a visit! she well now he:blushan: is now a dad haha :p

- prisca

I've setup an appointment for them to see the Doctor. Is there anything else that I should be aware of with the surgery. Like what's the best pain medicine for them to to have. How long will recovery be?

Latest posts

Back