Monsters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just an update on Monsters. Today is 1 week since we started meds for EC and she's doing really well. No signs of dragging her backend at all. If she is showing signs she's not hurting i give her som metecam to tie her over till she gets the next dose of drugs.
She is sleeping in my room and has free run of it as longs as im home and even if i'm sleeping she's out and very well behaved. But she has no problems peeing on my carpet. AKKK. She's still very lively and thinks that if i leave my door open an unattended or the baby gate is down it's safe her to move on to my sisters room next door even if i tell her UNAH(NO don't do that)
She's very intereseted in what i'm doing if i'm no the floor cleaning the pee or i have the vacuume out with the hose she's right there checking it out. U would like she was still young. She must be young at heart in her loving age of 11/12.
She's still kissing if i pick her up. :) I love it when she does that expecailly when i'm talking to my sis online cause i'll tease her.

Rebecca and Monsters

Hi, this is great news!

For the peeing on your carpet- it could be a behavioral thing. Once they do it, they often repeat the behavior especially if they can smell the previous 'accidents'. You can try masking the smell with apple cider vinegar (they don't like the smell) or something else non-toxic, she may discontinue this behavior too once she begins feeling like her old self. Congrats, you are doing a great job!

I have a question about her wieght. She only wieghts 1.77kg which i'm guessing isn't much in pounds. Since the last few visit she has continued to lose wieght. I bought some Timothy pelets will that help me put a few pounds on her?? Or should i try something else?

Hi, I would be concerned with weight loss. It could indicate a # of things, including kidney/liver failure.

You can try feeding her some alfalfa pellets and hay, and double her treats. Keeping a rabbit on alfalfa can be bad in long term because it is very high in calcium, however. Some people here have been able to find nutri-cal suppliment, it has calories and is rabbit safe.

I'm so happy for you that she seems to be on the mend! I would like to add another tip for the carpet. After you clean it with vinegar, spray down the carpet with hot water and put baking soda over the pee spot. As the baking soda dries it will pull up the pee spot AND the smell. Hope this helps!

Should I be concerned. She's only been on the drug for just over a week.

Monsters every once in while loses her balancewhen she gets up. Issigns that maybe the drugisn't working??? She still is lively and drinking and eating andKissing :). She isn't very active but will run around my room and go under the bed every once in a while. She likes to sit on a towel and rest.

I just want whats best for her. I want my sister to be her if I have to let her go.

Rebeccaand Monsters

The drug (panacur) is not a cure-all..if it is helping some that is good. She has been on it only a week so there is still time for more improvement

Would you be able to find out what was abnormal in her blood panel? Just wondering if it would help us help her.

Rexyrex
thanks for the tip on getting pee out of the rug..I never heard of doing the baking soda thing.

Does this look like she has Sore Hocks??

DSCF3032.jpg

DSCF3033.jpg

DSCF3034.jpg

DSCF3037.jpg

I know everyone here says to use BAGBALM but i just haven't been able to find it. Was thinking of emailing the photos to my vet and seeing what she has to say.

It does look like the fur is rubbing off where the bone joints are. It doesn't appear to look sore though, does it? You can try using Vaseline on it, the pure kind (not the liquid lotion).

She is not dragging her backend anymore, right? I wonder what could be causing her to rub her fur away like that on the feet. If you can chat with your vet via email that is great, perhaps she can tell you more.

She does drag her back end on that side close to time where the drugs are wearing off. She isn't showing much signs of improvement to me but she doesn't seem to be getting any worse. She's still eating/drinking pooping/peeing just as much as before. She's still showing love to us. After we give her the drugs she looks sad and lye's down is a feel sorry me state. She's loosing her balance sometimes when she goes to scrach her ears.

Just as were talking i watched her just drag that leg under her as she hops..
I mixed feelings as what is best for her.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
She does drag her back end on that side close to time where the drugs are wearing off.
-
I mixed feelings as what is best for her.

Ah I see. SO if she does still drag her legs sometimes, its hard to treat sore hocks when the cause of them can't be eradicated, the vaseline may help prevent it from being raw and a bunny sock may help if she doesn't chew or rip it off.

If she is still eating/pooping etc as before, then she is not getting worse so that is good. It is frustrating to not see improvement, but sometimes it can take 60days or more to see anything. Once thing I do think though, is it is probably much harder on you to see her in hard times than it is on her. Animals adapt really well, and if she isn't depressed all the time and her eating etc is still there, she is probably adapting. There will come a time that she will go downhill, it is inevitable right, whether she has an illness or not age will take them but I do think you will know when her living situation no longer works for her and it is time. Maybe right now she is resting plenty and enjoying her golden years!

If you do want to try and improve her mobility, you can look into bunny carts. That is, if her front legs are good and she is not too off balance. I don't know if it is the best thing for her as it really depends on how she moves around, but if it seems interesting to you it is an option.

I got a response back from my vet and she said simular things to u. So we will keep a good eye on her. The vet said she doesn't believe she's suffering if she's eatting and drinking, and with E.C. it will likely take away her ability to walk so we need to watch her and make the best decison for her.

Thanx for your help dquesnel

I've just come to the conclusion that my rabbits get sick 1 at a time as we're getting ready to go on holidays and they have to visit Grandma and Grandpa for a week.
Last year Fluffy got sick before we left, now this year Monsters get's sick. We think this is a ploy to get us to stay home.

Latest posts

Back