momma not feeding kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellablueyes

Reaction score
I have a netherland dwarf that is not nursing her kits. They are 4 days old and this morning they had milk in their bellies but bellies were not plump like they should be. Tonight when I got home from work bellies were empty at 10:30 pm and babies were fussing. I held momma down and let them nurse. Am I jumping to conclusions or was this the right thing to do? Is there anything else I should do. Mommas teats were bulging and she seemed irritated with me that I was letting those "things" get to her. It is her first litter but she is old enough maybe even too old to have a first litter.

I think you did the best thing for those kits. First time Moms, no matter how old they are, will sometimes not know what they need to do. It's always a "roll of the dice" with first timers. And sometimes it's not a good outcome for the kits.

I would keep doing what you are doing and placing her over the kits for them to nurse. I know she's irritated with you, but maybe after a time or two she will get the idea.

Wishing you the best. Let us know how it goes.

K:)

I'm a little worried about momma, she seems to be swollen in her teats a lot. Do rabbits get mastitis? I'm gonna call the vet today to see if we can't get her in ASAP. I don't want anything to happen to my girl or here babies. I might have to see if these babies can be fostered.

bellablueyes wrote:
I'm a little worried about momma, she seems to be swollen in her teats a lot. Do rabbits get mastitis? I'm gonna call the vet today to see if we can't get her in ASAP. I don't want anything to happen to my girl or here babies. I might have to see if these babies can be fostered.
Yes, unfortunately rabbits do get mastitis. And if her teats are swollen and if they are hot, there's something going on. I'd definitely take her to a Vet. And I think you will have to foster her babies to allow here to get the meds and rest she needs if it is mastitis.

Let us know what the Vet says. Wishing you luck with your Momma and her kits.

No vets in town will see me until Monday. I am pretty sure she has mastitis. So I am going to see if I can nurse these kits myself. The only Foster I can find is an outside rabbit and I dont want my babies outside. She has already had people break into her hutches and let rabbits out and one dog attack. They are staying warm in the nest in her cage so I am gone a try my best with these kits. Momma will have warm compress twice daily until Monday then a vet visit.

Sorry to hear there are no vets until Monday. I went and did some research and penicillin is needed to help your doe with mastisis. Plus you really couldn't foster the babes because that would then that bacteria will transfer to the doe you plan to foster the kits. Everything I read was basically foster the kits yourself. Disinfect everything so the bacteria is gone. I tried to find something else other than the penicillin to help, but it's a bacterial infection and needs to be taken care of as soon as you can. They do advise to disinfect everything. The warm compresses will help I think.

Wish I could be of more help. Hope all is well with the doe until Monday. Good luck with nursing the kits. Please keep us updated.

Yes, I read about the penicillin I will get some from the feed store tonight. I hope these babeis do well. I'm very nervous about it. I just don't understand everything I have read said it comes from unsanitary conditions and I clean my cages twice a week.

bellablueyes wrote:
Yes, I read about the penicillin I will get some from the feed store tonight. I hope these babeis do well. I'm very nervous about it. I just don't understand everything I have read said it comes from unsanitary conditions and I clean my cages twice a week.

I also read that if a doe hits her teats on the nest box, or rubs it on the floor of her crate, thatirritation can cause it too. Also it can be caused by hormones.

I know you are nervous about the kits. I would be to. Just do the best that you can. Please keep us updated.

Momma got a shot of penicillin last evening and some hot compresses and it must have made her feel better because I checked babies this morning and everyone had full bellies. I didn't remove the babies from her cage because that is where the nest was and she wouldn't go near them. So, she must feel better or she would have steered clear. Teats all look much better this morning too.

So glad to hear Mom's doing better. And that she's feeling so much better to even take care of her kits. She must be feeling better if the babies are all well fed and gaining weight. If she's doing better, I would keep the babies with her and let her take care of them. As you are doing now, watching everything, I'd keep observing Mom and kits.

Please keep us updated. Also would love to see pics of Mom and babies!

bellablueyes wrote:
I have some pics in the gallery I uploaded last night. I will keep them updated as I am taking pics every chance I get.
My they get big so fast! It's amazing! They are such sweet babies. Love the coloring. Did you post a pic of Mom in the gallery?

With giving her penicillin you might want to give her something like Bene bac (spelling?) after you are done with the treatment to make certain her digestive system is up to speed.

Today when I got home I checked on the kits and had a couple of fussy buns, so I offered them some formula and they gladly took it. I let them have as much as they wanted. Just 2 of the 5 wanted any. I'm gonna continue offering as long as there are fussy babies. I posted a precious pic in the gallery. One baby now weighs 2 oz! Woo hoo!!! I have come to the conclusion that dad may have had some mini Rex in him somewhere because a couple of babies have curly whiskers.

bellablueyes wrote:
Today when I got home I checked on the kits and had a couple of fussy buns, so I offered them some formula and they gladly took it. I let them have as much as they wanted. Just 2 of the 5 wanted any. I'm gonna continue offering as long as there are fussy babies. I posted a precious pic in the gallery. One baby now weighs 2 oz! Woo hoo!!! I have come to the conclusion that dad may have had some mini Rex in him somewhere because a couple of babies have curly whiskers.
So glad to hear the babies are doing well. And giving the fussy babies a bit more is a smart idea. With the mastisis, Mom maybe isn't producing all the milk these hungry babies need.

And did go to the gallery. Love the baby pics. Absolutely precious. And now I know where most of their kits got their color from. Lyla is absolutely the prettiest blue.

Hoping Mom's feeling better. And love the updates on the kits.

Lyla is doing much better as of last night all of the swelling is down and everything is soft not lumpy like before. I didn't bother her this morning because I was out really early. She doesnt have much of an appetite but I am managing to get her to at least eat so.r greens and veggies. I feel like anything is better than nothing. I also bought her some Jr bunny which is her favortie. Hopefully she will eat that.

Back