Mom with baby loss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Parsons

Reaction score
We expected 3 litters this month, First litter was born the 25th, she had 7 beautiful Rex babies. The second gave birth yesterday(Jersey Wooly), sadly her litter was only one he was breech and she was not able to get him out without help and we lost him, than her sister had her litter last night between 12:30 and 6am. She had 5 babies but one passed before we caught the litter. (both who died looked the same had a weirdly long body and skinnier than the other babies in any of the other litters, and they had the same father) The one who lost her litter has been pretty moppy and I was wondering if it would be possible to allow her to surrogate for the larger little (1 or two of the babies from my Rex). Is this a good idea to help the other mom with the larger litter (I know it could have been bigger and 7 doesn't seem so big) ? Is this a bad idea since the one baby was lost yesterday and she has not nursed any? She was bonded with both the other females as they all shared the same house and one was her sister. Would she even be able to care for baby at this point, or is just better to let her recover and not worry? All the females and babies are in our house so they are kept warm and able to watch the litters closer.

Uhm, if the question was if you can foster some of the kits to the doe that failed - I would say it might be worth a try, but not one or two but 3 minimum for min. nest core temperature. I would only try it within a day or less. Hard to tell from a distance, trust your gut feeling.

Uhm, if the question was if you can foster some of the kits to the doe that failed - I would say it might be worth a try, but not one or two but 3 minimum for min. nest core temperature. I would only try it within a day or less. Hard to tell from a distance, trust your gut feeling.
Thank you, I didnt know if we should do more than one or not. Im going to keep a few with her for now and see how she does. If any signs pop up or the babies are not able to gain weight than back to real mom they can go. I also thought being able to take a few out would help all the litter mates be more successful.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back