Mom daughter bond

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carriedaisy

Reaction score
We have a few babies left from a litter, they are now 3 months old. The males and females were separated a while ago, the last female is still with her Mom. We have been looking for a home for her, but now she and her Mom seem very strongly bonded. They are always together, and whenever they are separated (when I clean the cage or playtime), the Mom constantly searches for her and the baby won't move or do anything. We prefer the baby go to another home, but we also don't mind keeping her if we have to. Do you think they would be ok without eachother, or would I be breaking a real bond now?

I think at 3 months they would adjust either way, from my bit of experience.

You are still able to call the shots at this stage, however you wish :)

Rabbits aren't traditionally considered to be bonded unless both are neutered, but your mom and daughter pair may have just gotten used to each other's company. Baby bunnies tend to get along with everyone, though, and that may change as she hits puberty and starts humping mom. I don't think it would be breaking a bond to rehome her, but it sounds like Mum loves rabbit company and would like a friend! So you might consider neutering her and either getting her a neutered buddy or let the daughter grow up, neuter her, and let them bond for real.

In order to permanently keep them together *safely*, you would have to spay BOTH of them - hormones can provoke vicious or even deadly fights. Whatever bond they have now while the daughter is still a juvenile could go out the window when her hormones kick in, causing you to have to re-bond them after getting them spayed.

In other words, there's no reason at all to feel guilty for finding a new home for the daughter instead of keeping them together :).

It sounds like it could go either way but sounds like the mom is really attached to her. I might try to keep them and see what happens...

Vanessa

They aren't bonded at all, at 3 months the daughters are almost certainly not sexually mature. You are free to break them up.

They might mourn eachother though

Last edited:
Keeping them together may work out. Unaltered rabbits can become very attached to other rabbits with them or nearby, and can become very upset to the point on not eating, if the other rabbit is moved. If you do keep them together, just proceed very cautiously, and keep a very close eye on the daughter becoming hormonal and any changes that may occur. As Jennifer mentioned, there is a possibility of a fight breaking out with serious consequences. This is something that can happen. But I have also read of people keeping mother and daughters together successfully. So it may work, depending on their personalities, but I just think that it is something that isn't common, and can be risky.

If you do split them up, it may be best to at least keep them next to each other, and keep a close eye on the baby especially. Some rabbits can have a very difficult time adjusting after being separated, and may go off their food. So it's something to watch out for.

Latest posts

Back