Molting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speri

Reaction score
Last night I was petting Speri in her cage and noticed a bunch of fur all around her, so I picked it up and through it out. Then she started pulling more and more out. So, I figured that's natural and she was molting (I think that's what she's doing). I left her alone and then came back about ten minutes later and saw a little tuft of her fur sticking out of her mouth, so I pulled it out and then I kept pulling...and pulling...and pulling...

It was like one of those magic shows when the magician pulls out the scarves from his throat. It was literally like never ending. By the time I was done pulling all the fur out, both palms of my hands were filled with fluffy bunny fur about a half inch high. Has this happened to anyone else's rabbit, and is that normal?

I was planning on grooming her everyday once I get the whole "have Speri come out comfortably" down pat. So, if that was part of the problem I'll have that covered soon.

I just thought it was really weird the way it was mounds upon mounds. :p

How old is she? has she been around any male bunnies? How long have you had her?

DId she PULL the hair like tug?

She is 5/6 years old. I'm not sure whether it's 5 or 6...

I've had her for four years and she hasn't been around ant male buns. Yes, it was like pulling (tugging like). I've seen her do this before, but not to this extent, it was crazy the amount of hair I pulled out of her mouth. lol I guess I just never noticed all the fur in her mouth, I just saw of the remnants of hair before this. I think every thing's alright, although, I was just curious to see if this is something that rabbit owners experience.

No, however, I am getting it done within 2-3 weeks. I was the one with the cage problem posted yesterday you responded to.I put a poll up about altering bunnies too. I know it needs to be done, and I'm going to do that for her. :)

Do you think that her not being spayed could contribute to extreme molting?

Be sure she CAN be spayed at this age..... she is probably too old.

She might have a false pregnancy and pulling hair for a nest.

You should get her to a very good rabbit savvy vet to check her. She's prone to cancer not being spayed.

I will be sure I'm positive, but I'm pretty sure my mom already spoke to the vet is going to do it (my mom works at a vet office). The doctor had to operate on our 13 year old buck when he had problems and he did fine under her care (it was what my mom had told me,she said it wasn't for neutering, for something with the stomach I believe). I hold a lot of faith in the doctor, she works very well with small animals. I will check with her and double check though because I want the best for her, hopefully being able to spay her.

Spring is in the air, so it wouldn't be unusual for a doe to be a little hormonal and decide to pull fur.

At her age, reproductiveor glandulartumorscould also be a concern as a cause of hormonal inbalance.

Pam

Thanks Pam!

I have read a lot but I haven't actually experienced a non-spayed doe doing those things... Clover just doesn't do that stuff and she's not a domestic anyhow.

I feel better knowing someone confirms what I think.

Sounds like Sakura... Here's a post from my Blog..

---------------

Sakurastopped eating and just sat in a corner looking stressed. I though it might be a tooth issue because she'd lunge forward when I offered her food (she's quite the piggy) but then wouldn't take it.

It turned out to be a 'mouth' issue. And a hair issue.

100_4721_00.jpg

She had ALL THIS crammed in her mouth and couldn't open it. She was looking prettyblue when I picked her up to look at her teeth and tugged at a few strands of hair... which begat a few more strands of hair... and it just kept coming!! I don't know how she did it. Her mouth is the size of the paper clip in the photo!

-------------------

Here's Sakura with the makings of a 'hay' nest...

100_4790.jpg

She was around seven here, not spayed, decided not to in her case. We had her daughter spayed at five.

sas :bunnydance:

Speri was also collecting hay in her mouth!

Thank you everyone, and Pipp, Speri was doing everything your bun was. So, does that mean she is was having a false pregnancy? :?It was such odd behavior from her...although, she isn't doing it anymore now.

Back