molting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general, rabbits molt 4 times a year, 2 lighter and 2 heavier. Autumn and springe are usuallyperiods of heavier molting, butthis is not a rule.Each rabbit has its own molting pattern. There are rabbits that molt almost constantly throughout the year. There are some thatshed heavierthan others. In addition, there are other factors that contribute to molting, such as change of seasons, sudden and/or big changes in temperature, stress, changes in the rabbit's environment, etc.

Marietta

What Marietta said and also the fact that this year has been strange. Alot of people have been saying their buns have been moulting quite a bit even through this winter. My Snuff finally stopped just about 2 months ago. It went on for ages.

Yeah, the wierd weather has them all confused. I have three that are molting fairly heavily right now. Usually it'sa warm weather thing, but warm winter temps can throw them off.

Bo's coat is so uneven right now - especially on his butt :(

He got a little bald streak on his face again - that's his normal molt on his head.....

Mocha's just finishing a heavy molt, Fey is in the middle of a heavy molt, and Oberon's starting to shed heavier. And my cats are starting to shed more now too. This is a first with the cats (they're closing in on 2 years and haven't had a bad shed yet) but my buns usually seem to molt around now and often about the same time as the others. Loki and Luna are both due for molts.

When my buns are molting heavy, they get a little canned pumpkin every day. And the Furminator is my bestest friend ever!

Back