Molting? what?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellee4213

Reaction score
hi, so I foster rabbits as well as own them and I'm currently fostering a Dutch named Sonu. the other day I fed her and she had gray hair covering her back and when you touch it, it falls out. is this molting? is it okay? I've never had a rabbit breed that molts before. thanks!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1401544254.720044.jpg

Do you see any debris from fleas or mites in their fur? Is there new fur growing in underneath? My rabbits are going through a heavy spring molt right now where big tufts of fur just come right out. They have a patch on their backs of new shorter fur underneath, though. My rabbits live outdoors so they probably grew a heavier winter coat than an indoor rabbit would. Maybe your fosters were outdoors too.

Yes.. its molting :)
Not to worry..I have it everywhere! Normally lasts about weeks...
Help bunny by removing what you can regularly as if they digest to much they can get hair balls .. Their digestive systems are very complicated and can't digest this.
As well as brushing, you can dampen your hands and rub over bunny to remove excess hair :)

Latest posts

Back