molting time=furballs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhiszxpinay

Reaction score
I know it is the time where rabbits all aroundare molting..loosing fur for the next season and everything.But i wasjust concerned, Emmy has been grooming herself lately, licking all hersides and everything. Well, it is possible that Emmy can have furballsin her mouth?? If it is possible, how can iprevent that fromhappening?
Thanks,
- katy

Here issome info about how you can prevent your rabbit from havingfur balls:

Rabbits shed their coats several times a year, alternating light andheavy sheds. Most have a distinct pattern that begins at the head andgradually moves toward the tail. Some rabbits will shed their fur downto the skin, leaving patches of skin exposed. This is normal! Becausethey cannot vomit as cats do, rabbits are especially vulnerabletofur balls during their sheds. It is very important to brushyour rabbit weekly in between sheds, and daily during a shed. Mostrabbits like to be brushed, and it’s a great way to bond. Some people“pluck” their rabbits by gently pulling loose hair out with the hands,or use a grooming glove with textured dots to grab the fur. You maywant to give your rabbit a bit of Laxatone, fresh papaya, fresh timothyor alfalfa hay andpineapple during their heavy sheds to helppreventfur balls. If you find that your rabbit’s fur ismatting, use a pair of short, blunt scissors to remove the mats.

Hope the info helps!

:DCassandra:D

Katy,

I wouldn't feed them the pinapple from a can. I would go to the grocerystore and buy a whole pinapple and cut it into little pieces for thebunny to eat.

:DCassandra:DP.S.- my bunnyboys has lots more info bout it below

Pineapple from a can is no good. Through theprocessing that the pineapple goes through, it loses the ability tobreak down the hairballs. We have a food dehydrator and my parents buya pineapple and we dry it ourselves. The store-bought dried pineapplehas way to much added sugar. I suggest either fresh or drying ityourself, if you can't do that, then store-bought dried is okay I guess.

Papaya works too I heard.

mygrl2k3 wrote:
can you get pineapple from a salad bar??
I don't think that would be good for the rabbit. Cause you don't knowif the pinapple they got was from a can or not....unless youseea person cutting a whole pinapple up and placing thepieces into the salad bar.

Cassandra

mhiszxpinay wrote:
thank you! i shuld start feeding emmy pineapple! is thepinapple suppose to be dried? or where you can buy them from a can?

Driedpapaya/pineapple often relished like a treat.No need to buy whole fresh pineapple, just go to your local supermarketsalad bar, where you will usually find fresh pineapple cut into chunksand you can purchase exactly as much as you need or care topurchase. No fuss, no mess, no wastage.

Canned doesn't work because of the processing. Wal*MartPapaya EnzymePills, at about $2.99 per 100 alsoworks well, and is often accepted as a treat. Not all bunsfind these fur block remedies equally palatable. Some likeone form or another and dislike others.

Buckhttp://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001

o i c. now i get it, haha. well..i just boughtemmy new rabbit food becuse teh other food that we gave her, she didntrelle like it. so we bought her another one and likes it much muchgrand better than her old food package. with her new food, it has driedpapaya in it!! so that shuld keep away teh furballs!! haha.

Latest posts

Back