Molting causing bad gas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwolfec

Reaction score
I have a 6 month old neutered male lionhead rabbit and I think he is molting for the first time. His poops have fur in them and are strung together, and it happens at least once or twice a day.

He is eating normally, drinks a bit, gets free run of the house so he gets exercise, but this has been going on for about a week.

I don't have a rabbit-savvy vet anywhere on this island (I live on Guam). I gave him Simethicone and it seemed to make him feel better, but his poops are still full of fur! I increased his lettuce intake and decreased pellets, he eats a lot of hay...but I don't know what else to do! :(

Will his poops go back to normal after he's done molting?! Will he be ok? He's my first bunny and I've neve gone through this so I'm really nervous...

The hair does cause gas and will also cause a blockage which will seriously hurt your bunny. You are doing all you can for him. But the only thing you didn't mention was are you grooming him? I have two lion heads that are now in the midst of losing their baby fur. I've had to increase my grooming of them to twice a day when I found one hair in Luna's poo.

Also because of Lion heads wool, they can also get wool block. You really have to watch long haired rabbits at these times. Hair can cause really serious GI issues.

K:)

Yes! I have been grooming him as best I can. I do the damp hands and wipe him down thing. I got a comb that I use, but I don't think it's very effective. Is there a brush/comb you recommend? Maybe I can find it online and get it shipped! Thanks for your help!

Fabulous! Thank you thank you!

How long does the shedding normally last? I read they shed once every 3 months or so...but is it a longer more intense one since he's getting his adult coat in?

Can you get canned pumpkin where you are? Many rabbits like the taste of it, and the water and fiber usually helps in situations like this. I feed it as an occasional treat and every day when somebun is molting.

Does he have a water bottle or a bowl? It's not unusual for rabbits to drink more from a bowl than a bottle, so you might want to switch if he doesn't already have a bowl.

Also, can you get him fresh grass?

Try adding some fresh pineapple into his diet! It helps keep the fur from blocking up. Wee did this with our boy and he did great through his first big molt :) and now he LOVES pineapple! Papaya is good for it too! And our boy hates to be brushed so we used a lint roller to get all the hair off him multiple times a day, and he loves it lol but he's weird lol

cwolfec wrote:
Fabulous! Thank you thank you!

How long does the shedding normally last? I read they shed once every 3 months or so...but is it a longer more intense one since he's getting his adult coat in?

I have found when my buns shed their baby coats, it was heavy. It had to be because their adult coat was coming. That heavy shed lasted about one week, but then tapering off. I could three weeks it too. Now each bunny varies. But this is what I experienced with loosing their baby fur.

Now I'm finding out that when they lose their adult coats, my bunnies vary. Dobby just blows coat, meaning it just comes off like gang busters. Willard is medium shed. Kreacher sheds in patches, not his whole coat. He's the one I use my wet hand and definitely a mitt. Lint brush is a really good idea on this type of coat too.

I'm just learning about Neville and Luna. First baby shed and first time with a long haired breed.

Indoor rabbits do take longer to shed. So I'd say mine I see a good month of cleaning up hair.

The suggestion of pineapple and papaya are really good ones. Definitely helps break down hair that is ingested and keeping your bunny's system running. Also I'm finding, is lots of exercise. It does help move things, but also I have found helps them get their minds off the itching.

Hope this helps.

K:)

naturestee wrote:
Can you get canned pumpkin where you are? Many rabbits like the taste of it, and the water and fiber usually helps in situations like this. I feed it as an occasional treat and every day when somebun is molting.

Does he have a water bottle or a bowl? It's not unusual for rabbits to drink more from a bowl than a bottle, so you might want to switch if he doesn't already have a bowl.

Also, can you get him fresh grass?

So I tried the canned pumpkin and he turned his nose up at it. He wouldn't even try it! He has a water bowl instead of bottle because he never really liked the bottle to begin with. I spiked it with a little apple juice and he seemed to like that. I can't get fresh grass here....

I will try giving him some pineapple and papaya next.

Poor little itchy shedder :(

Latest posts

Back