Molting and Hair Cuts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
As many of you know Apollo has beengoing through a horrendous molt. He almost went into stasis andrequired a visit to the vet. He is still molting.

I am desperate at this point. I am brushing him like 6 times aday. Every morning his cage looks like some one snuck another rabbit inthere. I am treating him to avoid fur block. Pineapple, unlimited hay,limitng his pellets, Nutrical, plenty of exercise, the whole nineyards.

My question is this...would a short hair cut help atall? I know it sounds a bit extreme but I am at my wits end.So what do you think? Can it help or is it just the same problem justshorter hair?

Tina

Tina,

How long is Wollo's hair? I sheared Toby because his hair wasseveral inches long and I thought: shorter fur = less fur = lessingested. He was also molting slowly and in an ugly patternand I just wanted to help him along.

I don't know if I'd have the courage to take the clippers to your big boy! Mine's only three pounds!

Hopefully they'll be all finished soon. :)

Laura

His poops have been small again so I'mjust banging my head against the wall. I was treating him earlier. Ihave to be careful because if I don't check to make sure it went down,the second I let him go he'll spit it out.

Well, he was fighting to be let down. I held onto himand he screamed and quit breathing. I blew in his face, nothing. I gavehim a breath and he started breathing again and struggling. I let himgo and he growled at me and Jer and ran to his cage.

I think it just really over stressed him. I thought I killed mybaby. I've been keeping a close eye on him.Heseems ok other than royally POed at me.

I'm really at my wits end. Like I said I'm just grasping at straws at this point.

Tina

Tina, i'm not sure i have any advice, but ireally hope Apollo and you get through everything okay. i don'tknow if a Wollo bath might help, maybe?

:hug:

Nicole

Apollois in trouble again. He is not pooping and not wanting to eat. I calledthe vet. He wants me to continue treating him the way I am. If I noticehim back sliding to bring him in. But at this point it will stress himout less being treated at home.

I have been up allnight and have passed exhaustion. Ithink when Dale gets home from getting the supplies I'm sending himfor, I'll try and take a nap. I'm running on auto pilot at thispoint.

Tina

I know how stressful this must be on you -- we have been through this misery way too many times :(

Keep up the Nutri Cal and be certain he doesn't getdehydrated. He may need to go in to be put on ringerssolution if his condition gets any worse.

Pam

Oh no Tina...My thoughts and prayers are withyou and apollo!!! As for advice gypsy would be my thought cause I amclueless...although maybe giving him a warm bath might help...I know itworks on kids and lizards when they are having issues pooping..also itmight remove some of the excess fur from his molt.

Tina,

Why not try using some meat tenderizer. It is said todissolve the gastric mucous that holds the fur together. Youcan mix it with water to create aliquid and feed Apollo acouple of cc's every 4 hours until he's eating again.

-Carolyn

I have already added the meat tenderizerto Apollo's water bottle should he decide to use it and I've beengiving it tohim via syringe.

I must admit I have smelled enough pineapple to last me a lifetime. I used to love pineapple but not anymore.

:vomit:

I think I am going to have Jer help me give him a butt bath. Itseemed to help things along last time hopefully it will help thistime.:pray:

Tina

Latest posts

Back