Molt/Itchy Ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samanthaella1

Reaction score
Hi guys! New here, so my indoor male lionhead rabbit has been molting these past few weeks. He has developed these bald spots on his head area. The skin looks to be healthy underneath and I don’t see any dandruff/dryness when looking close. However, he has also been scratching his ears more often since he has developed these bald spots. I would say he scratches maybe once an hour. Just a quick scratch on his ears and then goes back to grooming. He also has shaken his head while in his litter box maybe once every other day. Could the molt D1D0FFBC-08FC-4E5E-9202-0A4D2E7E5A11.jpegB938FEAD-817E-4CAE-978E-7C30961127C2.jpegCC55BAA1-BA8F-45A2-9C9E-952815C5CF71.jpeg1EEDC11C-78A8-416E-B31E-F9DB24991273.jpeg22B7E1DD-55EB-4DB4-BEDA-98A34F3A8161.jpegD35132C3-FF68-4A47-BBF6-1DA3159481A3.jpegbe making him itchy? I’ve checked in his ears with a flashlight and they look pretty healthy, but today I noticed (I’ve added two pictures circled) he has a very small red mark in one ear and a very tiny brown mark in the other. Not sure if wax or a tiny scab. I was questioning mites at first but I don’t see anything else that looks like that. Is this normal? What do you guys think? Thank you very much!

Hi guys! New here, so my indoor male lionhead rabbit has been molting these past few weeks. He has developed these bald spots on his head area. The skin looks to be healthy underneath and I don’t see any dandruff/dryness when looking close. However, he has also been scratching his ears more often since he has developed these bald spots. I would say he scratches maybe once an hour. Just a quick scratch on his ears and then goes back to grooming. He also has shaken his head while in his litter box maybe once every other day. Could the molt View attachment 60577View attachment 60578View attachment 60579View attachment 60580View attachment 60581View attachment 60582be making him itchy? I’ve checked in his ears with a flashlight and they look pretty healthy, but today I noticed (I’ve added two pictures circled) he has a very small red mark in one ear and a very tiny brown mark in the other. Not sure if wax or a tiny scab. I was questioning mites at first but I don’t see anything else that looks like that. Is this normal? What do you guys think? Thank you very much!
Is there any other bunnies that are around your bunnies? Im thinking it could be bite marks or something like that but im not sure

These ears seem good to me. It's possible that they might just itch more because of the moult, and that little scab thing seems reasonable too. As long as there aren't a considerable amount of those, i wouldn't worry too much. I'd also check if buns' nails need clipping if this happens. The brownish spot looks okay too, i've seen Storm have a couple of these during moults. It could be just skin pigmentation though, especially with a black-based bunny. I'd just keep an eye out to the fact that the fur will start to grow back in with some time.
By the way, i love the crimp (floofy, wavy lil' strands of hair) that your bun shows when moulting!

Looks to be normal, but I would suggest to keep an eye on it. If it worsens and/or you start seeing dandruffy skin and fur loss, or lesions, or if you are concerned at all and unsure, best to contact a knowledgeable rabbit vet for a check up.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Back