Molar spurs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisyandparsley7

Reaction score
My bunny has had two separate cases of molar spurs the first was not bad just one slight one and then about three months later she didn't eat her pellets and I knew something was up. She had them really bad but as soon as they were taken care of she was back to eating! We adopted her and were told she was fine before that so I'm not sure what's going on. My question is what is the typical length of time it takes for molars to grow and cause problems? She had them last done at the emergency vet 5/11 before I realized this was going to be a regular thing unfortunately. My regular vet told me to make an appointment at the 2 and a half month mark so around the middle of July. I'm going on vacation for a week or so the 22nd of June and I'm afraid she will have problems. Can teeth grow that fast or is it closer to the three month mark?

Thanks!!

It really depends on the rabbit. The teeth do grow a bit faster during the summer than in the winter. Some rabbits need to go in every 3-4 weeks, other can go a couple months between trims. Some rabbits don't have a set schedule and just need to go in when you notice there are issues.
If you are going away, consider booking her in before you leave. She may need a trim at that point, or could wait a couple weeks. Another option is to have a really good pet sitter who could take her in if she does show signs on needing a trim. You could pay in advance at the vet or put a credit card on file and just make sure the vet knows the sitter may bring your rabbit in. If your rabbit is fine while you are gone, then the next time could be paid for.

My bunny has had two separate cases of molar spurs the first was not bad just one slight one and then about three months later she didn't eat her pellets and I knew something was up. She had them really bad but as soon as they were taken care of she was back to eating! We adopted her and were told she was fine before that so I'm not sure what's going on. My question is what is the typical length of time it takes for molars to grow and cause problems? She had them last done at the emergency vet 5/11 before I realized this was going to be a regular thing unfortunately. My regular vet told me to make an appointment at the 2 and a half month mark so around the middle of July. I'm going on vacation for a week or so the 22nd of June and I'm afraid she will have problems. Can teeth grow that fast or is it closer to the three month mark?

Thanks!!
-everything starts in the mouth,-teeth grow at a rate of 1-3mm per week,-if not ground down daily with grasses,ie.timothy/orchard grasses-with lots of fresh water,--eating only pellets means the softer pellets are preferable over grasses due to dental problems-which give rise quickly to medical problems--a domino effect-will take place,.. http://www.medirabbit.com -this site will help...sincerely james waller :love::happyrabbit::adorable::duck::biggrin:

Latest posts

Back