Mocha, Mocha, Mocha

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
You know it's getting bad when you have to fool your bunny to be able to get them out of the cage, lol!

Ever since I got Mocha and Spice, I picked them up daily to carry themfrom their cages to their runs for some exercise. Gradually as theygrew older and wiser, they started avoiding me. So I had to give themtreats to coax them. That worked, until they figured out a treat meantthey were to be picked up.

Then I decided, well they love to be out and run, they binky like noother. So I attempted the'fine-if-you-don't-some-to-me-then-you-can't-go-out' approach, thatdidn't work.

So onto my next genius plan, an empty plastic bag in my pocket. I onlystarted doing this about a week ago because it was getting hard to foolthem. I'd come to Mocha's door, crinkle the plastic bag in my hand andMocha knows that sound well, it means food, Yogurt Drops specificallyin his experience. But the bag was empty, it was just so he'd come tome. Well that worked awesome for about 3 days... then he figured out itmeant nothing except he was going to be picked up.

And now, I've finally decided to split their food. I give them half ofwhat I normally would give them in the morning and then I go off toschool. When I come back after school, I give them the rest and caneasily pick Mocha up as he's a pig and will have his nose right inthere! That was my brilliant plan for today, and it worked awesome, sofar.

Now I just dread him figuring that one out and me having to change mystrategy again! I've tried everything I can think of-- even puttingfood in his dish loudly, closing and pretending to latch his door, andwalking away so he sees me, well he's getting smart and is too fast forme.

Now I realize how back wards my bunnies are to all yours! Mine don'ttell me when I have to let them out, they tell me when they want backin their cage by sitting at the front of their runs and running to thegate when I come outside to put them away. I don't have a problemcatching them to put them in for the night, it's getting them out ofthe cage to put them outside. :?

You also may wonder why Spice was not really mentioned. That's becausealthough he has figured out my strategies, he is so calm and doesn'tsquirm that as long as he's not on top of his box, I can easily pickhim up.

What is a girl to do? I'm running out of ideas if this stops working,and they're not even 2 years old! Still got a while. :shock:

Sorry for the very long post. :shock:

Is their cage high? is that why you must pickthem up? If so, could you build them a ramp or a set of boxesgradually lowering as a staircase? They could get out ontheir own.

The cage is high, but they live outside. I cannotjust build a ramp because the cage stands in our garden over the winterand not in the rabbit runs we have built. The runs aren't big enough toput the cage in because it's narrow.

Let me show you what I mean. :)

100b4901.jpg

That is the cage in the garden and the metal fencing with the plywoodbeing used as a gate is one of the 2 rabbit runs. The boys can't betogether so building a ramp would be pointless anyways. But it was agood idea, if it was possible with my set up. :)

Same thing with Cali, MyBunnyBoys!!

I open the door to her cage at night figuring she'll be raring to go,and nope. She'll come out for a couple of spins around the place, 10minutes later, I realize it's quite, where's The Beast? In her cagelaying down. Her first mom told me she was lazy, but I didn't expectThis Lazy!

As to picking up Mocha Mon...enjoy this trick while you can. Figure youhave another 2 days or so. After that, it's just like you suspect andask for...it's back to the drawing board.

Hmmmm...how does one outsmart Mocha?

Now this is one that I have to think about.

-Carolyn

Hmmmmm.... I walk into the room and say "Hibubby!". He runs over to the door and smooshes his facebetween the cracks pushing while I open it. Then he jumps into my armsand climbs up onto my chest, nuzzles under my chin, crunches his teethand then starts kissing. Are you saying not all bunnies do this?:shock: When he is out running in the house I can call himand most the time he will come to see what I want or follow me aroundto see what I'm up to. Maybe you just need to kiss Mochaback? (he! he!he!)

Raspberry

Sounds like Bo, Raspberry! He has hisnose out of his cage the minute he sees me or the kids. If helingers in his bed or doesn't come to the door, I leave himalone. I figure he is too tired or just not in the mood.(that happens very seldom)

I am lucky tho, his cage is floor level, so he can get in and out of iteasily if I open the door. I do pick him up, but most of thetime he hops out before I can get him. LOL!

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Hmmmmm.... I walk into the room and say "Hibubby!". He runs over to the door and smooshes his facebetween the cracks pushing while I open it. Then he jumps into my armsand climbs up onto my chest, nuzzles under my chin, crunches his teethand then starts kissing. Are you saying not all bunnies do this?:shock: When he is out running in the house I can call himand most the time he will come to see what I want or follow me aroundto see what I'm up to. Maybe you just need to kiss Mochaback? (he! he!he!)

Raspberry

You areruthless!

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Hmmmmm.... I walk into the room and say "Hi bubby!". He runsover to the door and smooshes his face between the cracks pushing whileI open it. Then he jumps into my arms and climbs up onto my chest,nuzzles under my chin, crunches his teeth and then starts kissing. Areyou saying not all bunnies do this? :shock: When he is out running inthe house I can call him and most the time he will come to see what Iwant or follow me around to see what I'm up to. Maybe you just need tokiss Mocha back? (he! he! he!)

Raspberry

You areruthless!

-Carolyn

So so mean. Sebastian is definitely up for stealing.

Latest posts

Back