Mixed treat bag okay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was just at a small locally run pet store. I just wanted to check out what they had because it's the closest one to my new house.
The girl was following me around hawking me because (I think) she thought I was going to steal something (sketchy uni student what else is new...) So I felt the need to buy something.

The first thing I saw was this 'farm fresh fixins' treat mix. It has:
Raisins, sunflowers (no shell), oat groats, pumpkin seeds, corn, timothy hay, sweet potato, peanuts, dried strawberries, green peas, dried apples, dried apricots, dried carrots.

I know that nuts generally aren't that good for rabbits. Buster LOVES raisins as his night-time snack, but I thought it would be nice to change it up a bit for him. I'm planning on giving him only 1 piece a night for his 'treat' of the day. Would it be okay for him to have a little peanut/sunflower/any of the other ingredients once a day? I know they're not 'particularly' recommended, but neither is chocolate for humans and that doesn't hold me back. :big wink:

I plan on picking out the corn because I know that's really not good for buns.
Thanks! :)

I know the dried fruit is okay (though only a piece or two a day). The dried carrots and timothy hay should be fine, too. I think oats are okay, but I don't know what oat groats are.

I've also read no seeds/nuts/corn, but I've also read no potato or peas. I believe the reason is because nuts are so high in fat, even a small amount is really unhealthy for them. Rabbits have a sensitive digestive tract and I wouldn't want to risk upsetting the delicate balance in there. I've also read that too many fatty treats can cause your rabbit to become overweight (obviously), but can cause fatty liver disease.

To me, if a bunch of people have said 'not a good idea' to a certain food or food group, just avoid it. They love fruits and veggies, so go that direction instead of trying to give them something that might give you high vet costs in the future.

Latest posts

Back