mixed hay cubes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethystkytten

Reaction score
My bf brought home these tiny cubes of timothy hay mixed with alfalfa for me to try with the bunnies....I had heard they were not supposed to get alfalfa at older age Callie is about 3months Im estimating and Cookie Im not sure.Is this safe to let them have these? I provide timothy hay to them as well but would a cube of this be ok once in a while?

A bit of alfalfa in a hay cube really should not be a big issue. 3 months is well within the range to get alfalfa anyway. Unless they have shown an issue with higher calcium (bladder sludge, kidney or bladder stones etc), then a bit of alfalfa once in a while should be fine.

Bunnies are recommended to be given alfalfa while they are still growing, which is usually until they reach adulthood at around 6 months old. A 3 month old should be eating alfalfa hay anyway, for its high nutrition. But if your non-alfalfa diet works, that's fine too. Don't disrupt it too much. The occasional alfalfa hay cube is totally fine.

It's really not a big deal. Even adults can have the occasional alfalfa hay cube if they are not overweight.

Introduce it slowly though. Alfalfa can cause a calcium overload if too much is given at once to a rabbit that is not used to it.

I hadn't even thought of that! Callie should be on alfalfa when my boyfriend brought her home we had already bought stuff for Cookie and I never thought to get alfalfa for Callie the store had loaned her to a photographer and they had all fed her timothy hay so that's just what I gave her. he brought home this stuff he got it because he was tired of hearing me complain about hay everywhere lol.

Latest posts

Back