Mixed clover hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augustus&HazelGrace

Reaction score
Is a clover based hay ok? It is mixed with timothy and meadow hay but they told me it was mostly clover. They feed this to their horses. I don't have a job and my grandparents give me this hay for free.

Clover is much like alfalfa. It is too fattening and high in calcium. I buy my hay from a farm and garden store. I always ask for grass hay, but sometimes it comes with clover or alfalfa mixed in. Clover seems to cause less of a problem for my rabbits than alfalfa. A little bit won't hurt. I pick out the alfalfa or clover if there is a lot of it. It has a different feel to it, so it is easy to pick out. The leaves of the plants crumble easily. I put my hay in a metal trash can, and when I get to the bottom, I find the leaves of the plants and I just toss them out.

Yes, clover is a legume hay like alfalfa so it shouldn't be fed to adults (other than pregnant/lactating does) in any meaningful amount. A little bit is ok, but it needs to be a treat or it can lead to health issues.

Back