Mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaylie

Reaction score
Hey everyone , I recently bought a male lionhead . The person I got him informed me that he had mites previously, but they were no longer there. My question is there anything I can do to help him grow his hair back. He’s a double mane lionhead but looks more like he has normal rabbit fur. I’m sure he’s a double because I was gave pictures of him from a couple months prior. Thanks for any advice !

Were the pictures from when he was younger than 6 months? Is the fur thin like he's had fur loss or is it just that he doesn't have the typical lionhead mane?

I’m not entirely sure of when the picture were took. He’s only about a year and 3 months , and yes it looks like he just doesn’t have the typical lionhead mane.

If the picture was taken when he was young, he could have lost the mane when he shed his baby coat, and if so I'm not sure if it would grow back in or not.

If it was a picture from when he was older and had his adult fur, and he lost the mane from the mites and scratching, then it should start growing back in after his next molt.

I've read that some breeders will increase protein in the rabbits diet to help with fur growth. I know some will add calf manna into their rabbits feedings because it's high in protein. However it's not something I would use because of the corn and high amount of starches in the feed. Leafy alfalfa hay is high in protein, but it is also high in calcium so could potentially cause urinary or kidney problems due to the high calcium. These would be the two options to increase protein levels, though they each could have risks with their use.

If you don't need his coat to grow back in because you plan on showing him soon, I would just let it grow back in naturally after his next molt.

Thank , someone told me that he could be “shedding” -not sure if that’s what you call it in rabbits-. I thought that could be it because it’s the weathers been getting warm.

Thank , someone told me that he could be “shedding” -not sure if that’s what you call it in rabbits-. I thought that could be it because it’s the weathers been getting warm.

Rabbits shed (or moult) about 4 times (or more) per year. I've never been able to see or establish any pattern. Sometimes one will shed while another is not shedding. Some sheds seem lighter while others are serious, fur-flying sheds. For indoor rabbits, weather doesn't seem to play a factor.

Latest posts

Back