Mites??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxbunny

Reaction score
I’m freaking out a little bit because I’ve never had any experiences with mites before in and of my animals (chickens, cats, dogs, sheep), and the mite I’m suspecting is there can be passed to people so I’m terrified of getting it. One of my holland lops (4 years old) has started molting, so I went out and did some brushing and plucking to help her with it, and I noticed she had big flakey patches underneath her old hair on her back. I haven’t taken her to the vet because they don’t take appointments this short notice (backed up days in advance sometimes 😢) could it be walking dandruff? I did some poking around on the internet and the general consensus was that rabbits don’t usually have dry skin without mites, but it’s a little odd because she’s a neat freak to the point she licked and cleaned her ear tattoo right off (you literally can’t see it anymore lol) and she hasn’t been itching and scratching more than usual? I’ll go out again tomorrow with some gloves and take some pictures, and are there any guaranteed ways to find out if it’s mites or just paranoia??

I think the only way to know for sure would be for a vet to get a skin scrape or a few hairs under a microscope.
I'd book an appointment for whenever the next one is available, I wouldn't risk using any over the counter treatments personally until you know what you're dealing with 👍

It's possible it could be another skin condition like sebaceous adenitis, or just dry skin if it's minor dandruff and no fur loss, but fur mites is the most common when there's dandruff with fur loss.

Revolution (selamectin) is the easiest rabbit safe treatment for mites. One topical spot on application (12-18mg/kg) is usually enough. Ivermectin spot on, injections, or oral, every 2 weeks for 3 treatments is the other common rabbit safe treatment, though some rabbit types can be more sensitive to side effects from this med.

Medirabbit: fur mites

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites

Latest posts

Back