Mites treatment for straw

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bon

Reaction score
Any idea how they treat straw to kill off any nasties before they sell it in shops?

I used to buy huge bails for £2.50 from my local farmer that would last 2 months but the last lot had mites in it which ended up costing me a fair bit in vets bills to get it sorted.

The problem is, to buy form the shops here, costs me £6 for a weeks worth

Is there any over the counter or online product I can buy to ensure they dont get them again?

Cheers

Bon

I'd be VERY reluctant to use or purchase anything to treat hay or straw. The rabbits eat that stuff.

What kind of mites did the last batch have? I'm not very experienced with this, but I think mite infestations would be localized, so trying another farmer is your best bet.

I think most rabbits have, or are exposed to, some fur mites, but its not a problem unless they're really taken hold for whatever reason -- sheer numbers, low immune system, etc.

If you had burrowing mites, they're a lot more of a problem. Same with ear mites. But Revolution should really take care of them with just one treatment and a good cleaning of the environment.

And finding another farmer.

PS: So nice to see you posting, Bon! (Even if it is an 'issue' post).

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
I'd be VERY reluctant to use or purchase anything to treat hay or straw. The rabbits eat that stuff.

What kind of mites did the last batch have? I'm not very experienced with this, but I think mite infestations would be localized, so trying another farmer is your best bet.

I think most rabbits have, or are exposed to, some fur mites, but its not a problem unless they're really taken hold for whatever reason -- sheer numbers, low immune system, etc.

If you had burrowing mites, they're a lot more of a problem. Same with ear mites. But Revolution should really take care of them with just one treatment and a good cleaning of the environment.

And finding another farmer.

PS: So nice to see you posting, Bon! (Even if it is an 'issue' post).

sas :bunnydance:

Cheers :) I can't remember the type they had, but they lost their fur in patches. I have everything a good dis-infect and aquired another bail of straw from a different farmer who also had a huge bail of realy good looking hay at the side which I took also, didnt have time to get it down to the greenhouse before the lot of em were running around my feet trying to nibble at it :)

Latest posts

Back