Mites or Fungus???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior_n_sweetpea

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference is in howthe skin looks with each one? Porky (our guinea pig) has a couple ofrough scaly patches.

I don't know what fungus looks like, but miteslook like dandruff, tiny white flakes. I don't know if it causes scalypatches. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Is mites confined to a few specific areas or isit over the entire body? There are some white flakes there but I justassumed it was dead skin. What is the treatment for mites? This reallyjust burns my butt because we have only had him a few days, and Inoticed it the night we brought him home. So whatever it is he had itat the petshop too.

The only experience I've had with mites is fromwhen I was a kid and had to gather the eggs. In reachingunder the hen to get the eggs, there were a few times when mites wouldleave the hen and crawl on to my arm. Theymove. You can actually see the tiny little thingsmove. We squashed them. I think Mom used a powderof some kind in the nests to get rid of them. If your bunreally has mites, you'll probably have to get something from the vet toget rid of them.

Hi J&S,

Ivermectin 1.87%, a horse worming paste, will get rid of any kind ofmites, fleas, etc. You only have to use a small dose, a pea-sizeddollop on the front paw of the rabbit and it will lick it off. Carefulnot to overdose because it can be fatal, as it's very strong stuff.

Without being able to see and not being sure, it sounds like you've gotfur mites, but even so, a treatment of Ivermectin is what some peopledo every few months to be safe. After the first application, do it 10days later two more times, and it should take care of the problem if itis a bug of some sort.

Some insects/bugs/mites are so hard to see that some can't be detected.Best to sanitize the cage and wash all bedding or toys. If it's fleas,it's a good idea to wrap toys up in a plastic bag for a month.

Hard to know unless you really see what's going on, but if it is mites, Ivermectin will get rid of them.

Some of the signs of mites are dry patches of skin, dandruff lookingflakes, scratching a lot, loss of hair in extreme cases, crusty patchesinside of the ears.

-Carolyn

P.S. You can get Ivermectin at a Tractor Supply Store, anequestrian/pet supply store, or online. It can range anywhere from$6-13.

P.S. I just went over the post again and noticed you weren't referringto a rabbit. Sorry. The above answer is in response to a rabbit. Willhave to see what one of our other members say about how to treat aguinea pig. Sorry I can't be of help.

Thanks everyone!Mites is what it soundslike. The pet store I got him from says that all animals are Vetchecked before they are put up for sale. I think I'm going to contactthe store and see why they missed this and what they plan to do aboutit. Hehas no contact withour buns or dog (He's inhis own cage in my son's room) but can the mites be spread easily? Thiscould get quite ugly. :X

Alrighty..

Skin problems – have partly been dealt with under grooming. A regularbathing regimen in the types of shampoos described should keep mostskin problems away. However, futher treatments for more serious skininfections are as follows:

Mites (Fur Mites) Because mites burrow into the skin, once aninfection is set up they can be hard to shift with topical treatmentsalone. The best solution is to use Ivomec (cattle wormer) but this is aprescription only medicine and can only be obtained from your vet. Mostvets will want to inject it, but it can be administered orally. Twoapplications of 1-2 drops per application, 10-14 days apart, usuallydoes the trick. Ivomec also kills many internal parasites (worms) soit’ll do your piggy good.

Surface parasites can be treated with a shampoo such as Vet-SectRepel. You might not shift them all in one shampoo, it may take 2 or 3goes at 3-4 day intervals. If your vet gives your animal an Ivomecinjection never use a therapeutic shampoo on the same day. Some shampoochemicals are absorbed through the skin and it is possble with thecombined effects of Ivomec and shampoo to overdose your animal. Leave48 house between Ivomec-ing and shampooing.

Note, piggies do not suffer from fleas.

Skin Fungus

What starts as a bit of dandruff and “itchy, flaky scalp” can end upwith huge bald patches, deep scratch lesions and thick dry patches onthe skin. The infection can progress and become systemic throughingestion of the fungal spores from the skin and hair. It will have tobe treated with the powerful antifungal agent, griseofulvin which is aPoM, and can take at least 3 weeks to get the infection under control.Symptoms of a severe systemic infection are distressing to watch as thenerves become damaged and the animal experiences fitting. Even gentlytouching the animal can set off a fit and one fit too many will causecardiac arrest and death. Not a nice way to go. The first time I saw ananimal in this condition at the CCT I went straight home and bathed all12 of the piggies I had then! Plus, once systemic, a fungal infectioncannot be cured, only controlled. So keep the fungals under control atthe very early stage with regular anti-dandruff shampoos. There’s alsoa dip you can use which is very good for a serious skin/non-systemicinfection, called Imaverol, used for controlling ringworm on farmanimals. Again a visit to the vet will be required.

Spotting the difference between a fungal or parasitic infection can betricky and if it’s difficult to tell which it is, it’s sensible totreat for both.

Fleas can certainly spread, not sure about mites if they don't havecontact with other animals, but other parasites can spread.

There are great boards on the net for guinea pigs. Do a search about itand surely someone will help. We have our own here that can help too aswe have many multiple-animal pet owners here. Pamnock will always say:"Check with a vet before giving medication." and I think that's verygood advice.

The important thing is that you've caught it so quickly. Good job!!

-Carolyn

junior_n_sweetpea wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is in how the skinlooks with each one? Porky (our guinea pig) has a couple of rough scalypatches.

Liceare very common in cavies (they are white and you can seethem moving as opposed to mites on rabbits, which aremicroscopic). The vet can culture for fungus (which can oftenhave the same appearance as flaking skin from mites).

This is an excellent site for more infohttp://guinealynx.www6.50megs.com/hairloss.html

Pam

Latest posts

Back