Misting systems?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbs

Reaction score
I am considering putting up a misting system buta bit unsure about it. The summer heat get pretty darn hot here. But my barn has yet to get too hot. I have the windows open and fans going,along with a ridge vent. What I am unsure about is the moisture. I have an all wood barn, (floor, walls, and ceiling) will the misters put off too much moisture for the wood? What about the food dishes and hay bins? Will they collect moisture and create problems with the food and hay?

What systems do you recommend? I have found a system kit through KW cages but it seems pretty low in price, so I am not sure it has all that I will need.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Misters are excellent in dryer climates where the humidity is very low.  Using a misting systemin an already humid condition could cause more harm than good as it can create that deathly muggy hot environment.

Good air flow is a must... Regardless if you're using a misting system or not.  It's the air flow that will keep the rabbits cool and comfortable even in some of the worst heat waves.

I'm not too sure about misters in an enclosed barn... logic tells methat the moisture could eventually rot / mildew the wood, but that's just my guess... I don't have any experience w/that.

>~Sunshine

The misters would be ineffective in a humid area such as Florida.  In order to  cool, the moisture in the air needs to evaporate -- which it doesn't do in very humid air.

These types of coolers (misters, swamp coolers) are very popular out west though.

We use fans in the summer.

Pam

Thanks Sunshine and Pam,

I had a feeling it would not work here but had to make sure. This is my first summer with the barn so I am not sure how hot it will get in the barn. I do know that it is much cooler in the barn than outside and even my husbands work shed! He often tells me he is going to steal my barn to work in. HA! I have plans for 2 more fans this summer, one in the window to blow out air and one more moving the air inside.

Thanks again for your help.

Latest posts

Back