Missy won't eat her vegies..?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zkeaton

Reaction score
We just got Missy last night. She has been super cuddly and will now run to your lap and make you pet her. She was eating all her veggies last night but we was trying to eat everything so we made her another salad. ( i assumed it was stress eating) she didn't eat any of it and i was just like well shes not hungry. When i got up, i let her out of the pen and made her a salad. She hasnt touched it and she wont even nibble at a banana anymore... maybe she is just overwhelmed...? i don't think shes sick tho. i would have told Olivia ( previous owner) but my brother lost my phone so yeah. I want her to be healthy! she's sleeping right now. i even have stress relieving bunny music, she's been acting happy like doing binkies and bunny 500's so i think shes happy but she won't eat and its scaring me. please help.

okay so she tried to sniff it but turned her head away immediately, there are fresh! this time i put romaine and parsley! i don't know whats wrong!

i got them little bit wet and no they're soggy so i see why she wouldnt eat them now but i was able to get her to eat the heart of romaine

like she will not eat the leafy part... i think it may be the parsely she dont like it

You just got her yesterday? Do you know what she was used to eating before? Did she get greens before? Do you know which particular greens?

It's important not to change her diet when brought to a new home. That means no new greens or veggies -- only ones that you know she has had before. In a week or two, you can introduce new types.

Is she eating her hay? Are you feeding pellets too? Same as what she had before?

Last edited:
We just got Missy last night. She has been super cuddly and will now run to your lap and make you pet her. She was eating all her veggies last night but we was trying to eat everything so we made her another salad. ( i assumed it was stress eating) she didn't eat any of it and i was just like well shes not hungry. When i got up, i let her out of the pen and made her a salad. She hasnt touched it and she wont even nibble at a banana anymore... maybe she is just overwhelmed...? i don't think shes sick tho. i would have told Olivia ( previous owner) but my brother lost my phone so yeah. I want her to be healthy! she's sleeping right now. i even have stress relieving bunny music, she's been acting happy like doing binkies and bunny 500's so i think shes happy but she won't eat and its scaring me. please help.
Hi, I understand that you are too excited and want to feed her everything she'd eat, but it is important that she eats hay in first place, hay is 80% of her diet, and veggies only 5-10%, so I feed veggies once a day, a handful and not more, 1/2 stick of celery or 2 cauliflower leaves or one large romaine lettuce leaf or 2-3 stems of mint or cilantro. I usually give greens/vegs in the morning AND add fresh hay so they first eat their veggies and go for hay, then in the evening before I go to sleep I give them their portion of pellets AND add fresh hay, so they inhale their pellets and flop dead and happy so I we can all sleep then when they wake up they go for hay and by breakfast their hay is all gone. That I call healthy diet, my rabbits eat hay hay hay and only a bit of greens/vegs and an inch of carrot OR 1/4 of apple OR an inch of banana OR 2 blueberries as a treat only once or twice a week. They get some more treats like fresh or dried herbs a couple times a week too.

They never have any upset stomach or diarrhea, they are happy and healthy, please don't experiment with your rabbit, just feed her healthy and you will never have any problem. She's not a doll she's a living animal and you are responsible for her health please feed her responsibly, hay everyday make sure she eats enough of hay. Vegs only one handful, it is best not to mix but give one type at a time, forget those bloggers do what is healthy for her.

Also what pellets you feed her? It is best if there are no changes in her diet for first week, so if you got pellets from her previous owner you keep feeding them and if you want to change to other type you will need to do it gradually, mixing old pellets with new. Rabbits have very sensitive digestive system and sudden changes can make them very sick they can stop eating and can die in no time. Be careful and make sure she gets hay hay hay and not vegs and treats as her main menu. If you will feed more vegs and treats she will eat less hay.

You just got her yesterday? Do you know what she was used to eating before? Did she get greens before? Do you know which particular greens?

It's important not to change her diet when brought to a new home. That means no new greens or veggies -- only ones that you know she has had before. In a week or two, you can introduce new types.

Is she eating her hay? Are you feeding pellets too? Same as what she had before?

actually i think she ate greens but i dont know which ones. i'll ask olivia! Yes she is eating her hay almost every minute she is in her pen! i have a shoebox with a hole in it, 2 actually. i have the bigger one above the litter box and the other right outside the pen. and yes i asked olivia a few days before we got her to make sure i got the right hay and pellets. i was surprised when she ate the pellets but not the romaine but what you said makes sense. Thank you!

Also what pellets you feed her? It is best if there are no changes in her diet for first week, so if you got pellets from her previous owner you keep feeding them and if you want to change to other type you will need to do it gradually, mixing old pellets with new. Rabbits have very sensitive digestive system and sudden changes can make them very sick they can stop eating and can die in no time. Be careful and make sure she gets hay hay hay and not vegs and treats as her main menu. If you will feed more vegs and treats she will eat less hay.

she is eating the same hay and pellets as olivia was feeding her! i've been giving her treats when she comes if i call her name. at first it was every time she came but now its every like 5 times! she is def eating more hay than treats! i dont want her to be a fat and unhealthy rabbit... i don't think ill change the pellets because they work for our budget best and she likes them! Thank you!

Hi, I understand that you are too excited and want to feed her everything she'd eat, but it is important that she eats hay in first place, hay is 80% of her diet, and veggies only 5-10%, so I feed veggies once a day, a handful and not more, 1/2 stick of celery or 2 cauliflower leaves or one large romaine lettuce leaf or 2-3 stems of mint or cilantro. I usually give greens/vegs in the morning AND add fresh hay so they first eat their veggies and go for hay, then in the evening before I go to sleep I give them their portion of pellets AND add fresh hay, so they inhale their pellets and flop dead and happy so I we can all sleep then when they wake up they go for hay and by breakfast their hay is all gone. That I call healthy diet, my rabbits eat hay hay hay and only a bit of greens/vegs and an inch of carrot OR 1/4 of apple OR an inch of banana OR 2 blueberries as a treat only once or twice a week. They get some more treats like fresh or dried herbs a couple times a week too.

They never have any upset stomach or diarrhea, they are happy and healthy, please don't experiment with your rabbit, just feed her healthy and you will never have any problem. She's not a doll she's a living animal and you are responsible for her health please feed her responsibly, hay everyday make sure she eats enough of hay. Vegs only one handful, it is best not to mix but give one type at a time, forget those bloggers do what is healthy for her.

This morning i gave her 1/4 cup of pellets cause i didnt know her exact weight and stuff, the shoeboxes i have are pretty darn big and i have 2 so i doubt she'll go through it all in one day. I also gave her 3 leave/stem thingys from the romaine. we cut the heart out like the hard part and she likes them! at first we were using them to make her come to us and know we dont want to hurt her lol. yesterday on the way home i gave her about 1/2 a banana because she was scared and we had a 1 1/2 hour drive back home. i dont plan on giving her anymore banana for a few days because of that... and lastly a few days ago i dried some apple slices out in the oven and thats what we're using as treats! She's been flopping a lot too! that was a ramble... but thank you for responding!

This morning i gave her 1/4 cup of pellets cause i didnt know her exact weight and stuff, the shoeboxes i have are pretty darn big and i have 2 so i doubt she'll go through it all in one day. I also gave her 3 leave/stem thingys from the romaine. we cut the heart out like the hard part and she likes them! at first we were using them to make her come to us and know we dont want to hurt her lol. yesterday on the way home i gave her about 1/2 a banana because she was scared and we had a 1 1/2 hour drive back home. i dont plan on giving her anymore banana for a few days because of that... and lastly a few days ago i dried some apple slices out in the oven and thats what we're using as treats! She's been flopping a lot too! that was a ramble... but thank you for responding!
That's great I see your hay boxes now in your photo that's good idea. Sorry if I sounded a bit rude just don't get too excited with treats, 1/2 banana is too much, I can imagine how happy you are now, hopefully you will take good care of her good luck :)

That's great I see your hay boxes now in your photo that's good idea. Sorry if I sounded a bit rude just don't get too excited with treats, 1/2 banana is too much, I can imagine how happy you are now, hopefully you will take good care of her good luck :)
you didn't come off as rude, it was very helpful! wait where did i post a picture... whatever picture i posted is outdated i think here's a new one from like 10 minutes ago WIN_20200507_18_23_00_Pro.jpg
yeah that's why im not gonna give her a nana for awhile... and yes i am very excited! this was the best birthday present ever! i mean, she flops on the floor and snuggles!

The box in the photo on the right side (inside the pen) should probably be moved. Otherwise, bunny might figure out how to use it to hop over the pen onto the big box outside the pen. You don't want anything against the pen wall that she can use as a launching point to hop over.

Once you find out what greens she is used to, then stick with just those greens for now. Dried apple slices are smaller than not-dried, but still have all the same sugar as if it wasn't dried. That means a safe amount is less than that of a fresh apple. No more than 1 tbsp-worth of dried apple slices per day. No more.

Between the half banana yesterday and multiple apple slices today, she is getting sugar overload. Too much sugar can be deadly because it can cause a fluorish of bacteria to grow in the gut causing GI stasis. Be very careful what you feed her. Too much of anything (except hay) can cause serious health issues.

I'd suggest no fruit at all for tomorrow. Let her tummy deal with all that sugar first.

Last edited:
I saw you asking on another thread about critical care. It isn't something one absolutely has to have on hand, but it is often recommended as part of your bunny first-aid kit. I have kept rabbits for decades now and have only had to use it for one of my rabbits in all of those years.

Since you are new to rabbits, you may want to see if you have the items for a basic first-aid kit...just in case.

1588899795381.png

Last edited:
Back