Misidentified Gender

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobrookss727

Reaction score
I adopted two Holland Lop bunnies in March 2021. Pearl was 6 months and Honey was 3 months. The breeder claimed they were full bred Holland Lop though I have my doubts. She mentioned that they had the same parents but were from different litters, however; Pearl is notably larger than Honey.
I noticed Honey would nonstop mount Pearl. I double checked them to ensure that they were both does so I wouldn't have any babies. The humping had been occurring very often for the past 3 months. I took Honey into the vet to verify her gender and they determined she was a boy!
I am wondering if there's any explanation as to why Pearl has not gotten pregnant as they have sharing the same cage since March.
I've attached an image below to show the size difference between them. Pearl (left), Honey(right).
Snapchat-781979831.jpg

Im not really familiar with dwarf breeds, but here's my opinion anyway:
What you've got there is one true, and one false dwarf, so yes, they actually could be siblings. The dwarf gene is semilethal, if a rabbit gets only one it causes the stunted growth humans consider cute, two are lethal (peanuts). 25-50% of the offspring are false dwarfs which don't get this gene, but are the small breed it all started with.

Anyway, holland lop? To me neither of them looks like a holland lop, more like a netherland dwarf or such, but as I said, I don't know much about small breeds.

Apart from that, if both are still intact, you've got a time bomb there. At one point he quite likely will hit the right spot. Had an accidential litter once when a wild buck knocked up one of my does, 3 times his weight.

Im not really familiar with dwarf breeds, but here's my opinion anyway:
What you've got there is one true, and one false dwarf, so yes, they actually could be siblings. The dwarf gene is semilethal, if a rabbit gets only one it causes the stunted growth humans consider cute, two are lethal (peanuts). 25-50% of the offspring are false dwarfs which don't get this gene, but are the small breed it all started with.

Anyway, holland lop? To me neither of them looks like a holland lop, more like a netherland dwarf or such, but as I said, I don't know much about small breeds.

Apart from that, if both are still intact, you've got a time bomb there. At one point he quite likely will hit the right spot. Had an accidential litter once when a wild buck knocked up one of my does, 3 times his weight.
At first glanced I assumed they were a mix of Netherland dwarf and hotot because of the markings around their eyes.
I've separated them at this point but I'm just amazed at how Pearl hasn't gotten pregnant considering they've been in the same cage for 7 months and Honey has been mounting her daily for the past couple months. I was wondering if there is a reason for why it hasn't occurred

Latest posts

Back