Miserable caged rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porpy

Reaction score
Tigger's leg is definately broken. They've takenthe cast off now because it was so restrictive to her. She's got to bekept confined in the cage for about a month. The vet says the leastspace we can give her the better. She's got room for litter tray andabout the same again for sleeping. Its her best chance of being able tokeep the use of the leg. Has anyone got any suggestions of how to keepa sore and miserable rabbit entertained??

Thanks.

I'd give her several toilet paperrolls,eachstuffed with a different kind ofhayor grass. It's light, she can toss it, chew itor eat the hay all without moving around much. Maybe evenstick a raison or three inside for a little extra incentive.

And of course pat her and talk to her a lot. Butdon't feel obligated to keep her occupied all the time, remember thatbunnies will sleep most of the time, anyway, they're only active for afew hours twice a day even when not injured or confined.

Hope she's feeling better soon! (And you too!)

sas :rose:

I know how hard this is. But the more you can keep your bunny still, the better it will heal.

I had a fuzzy lop doe named Asa about 5 years ago that jumped down froma chair wrong. She'd made that jump a hundred times before. Somehow shelanded wrong and broke her pelvis. I had to keep her in a carrier fortwo weeks and then in a very small cage for the remainder of the twomonth period. I felt so bad for her! She healed perfectly, but was notworth risking breeding her. I found her a wonderful pet home that sheis still in to this day. She travels all over in her family's RV tohorse shows around the country. What a spoiled girl!

Just make sure to give plenty of hay to keep your bunnies gut moving nicely.

Does she enjoy being petted? If so giving herdaily massages might be good physical and mental stimulation for herand will help get the blood to her muscles that she isn't using frombeing confined. Also hopefully spending time with you in this way willcheer her up and stop her getting depressed. Try reading the book "Therelaxed rabbit, massage for your pet bunny" by Chandra Moira Beal.:)

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Does she enjoy being petted? If so giving her daily massagesmight be good physical and mental stimulation for her and will help getthe blood to her muscles that she isn't using from being confined.
:yeahthat

That's what I was going to suggest too... :)

Latest posts

Back