Mini Rex Color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
I took in this Mini Rex buck last September. He was totally covered in Mites, his ears were infested (so caked that the crust filled his ears and wrapped around the outside!), he had worms... poor thing was in miserable condition. Couldn't tell exactly what color he was at all... I guessed broken tort or (badly colored) broken castor, but his fur was so dirty and so matted (missing is a few places!) that I wasn't sure.

Well, he's cleaned up pretty nicely and worked real hard at growing a new coat... and turned out to be a real sweetheart. He put on some weight, weighs 3.75 lbs... And until today, I thought he was a broken tort. But I took him out in bright sunlight today and he appears to have a few black/chocolate spots! So that makes him a tri?

I'd like some other opinions...

Left side:
BrokenTort1.jpg

Right Side:
rightside1.jpg

Top View:
topshot.jpg

Head shot (sorry, just washed his face!):
headshot1.jpg

Any opinions?

I believe he is a broken tort, he could be a very poorly colord chocolate though.. I've had a few that looked like that.
Tris look much diffrent than that. He may be out of a tort/tri breeding but I think his face looks more tort.

Sorry I'm not much help,
Karlie

JadeIcing wrote:

LOL! After everything he's been through, he's going to stay here... He's really a love. Actually, I haven't properly named him yet, been calling him "Pretty Boy" (Cause I didn't want him to get discouraged while he was healing... when I first brought him home, I wasn't sure he'd survive..).

Can he be shown?

BlueGiants wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:

LOL! After everything he's been through, he's going to stay here... He's really a love. Actually, I haven't properly named him yet, been calling him "Pretty Boy" (Cause I didn't want him to get discouraged while he was healing... when I first brought him home, I wasn't sure he'd survive..).

I'm not sure... if he is a broken tort, yes he can. If he isn't, I don't think so. He's good weight, his ears are OK, nails are good... and his fur has lovely density. And I like his rise and shoulders, he has good type... Would love to know exactly what color he is... Of course, I don't know if the uneven coat color is from parasites or injury.

He looks like a broken tort to me. If he does have the black. If he has the black spots he would not be showable as a broken tort and torted tris are a DQ.

Roger

I was thinking chocolate tort, I had a dutch doe that was a chocolate tort. She still showed under tort, she just wasn't the same shade. I would try him, just to see, he looks like a dark tort to me in some of the pictures, in others he looks chocolate tort. see what a judge says, it can't hurt

I'd say just plain Broken Chocolate or Broken Choc tort. but then again I am not good with tort coloring lol.

Well, if all else fails, we can put him on the table under a judge and get their opinion! The worst that happens is he gets DQ'd, but then we'd know!

My daughter is calling him "FlufferNutter", and that kind of fits, so I guess he has a proper name now.

BlueGiants wrote:
I took in this Mini Rex buck last September. He was totally covered in Mites, his ears were infested (so caked that the crust filled his ears and wrapped around the outside!), he had worms... poor thing was in miserable condition. Couldn't tell exactly what color he was at all... I guessed broken tort or (badly colored) broken castor, but his fur was so dirty and so matted (missing is a few places!) that I wasn't sure.

Well, he's cleaned up pretty nicely and worked real hard at growing a new coat... and turned out to be a real sweetheart. He put on some weight, weighs 3.75 lbs... And until today, I thought he was a broken tort. But I took him out in bright sunlight today and he appears to have a few black/chocolate spots! So that makes him a tri?

He looks great! I'm almost afraid to ask though... Why was he in the condition, he was in?

Yeah, we won't go there. It was upsetting that someone let him get that bad. I got his brother too, a broken black, but he didn't make it. (And I thought he wasn't in as bad a condition!)

I'm just glad I got him and that I had the room to rehab him and that it was successful for him.

He looks broken tort to me. Any miscoloration could just be sunburn, urine burn (you know how bucks are), or just molty. Tri's are a lot lighter, as are choclate torts. So I don't think it is either of them.

Thanks for your input. This coat is brand new, and I don't know what he's "supposed" to look like. He could have injuries and scars that I'm not aware of... or as you said, he could just be moulty. He's really clean right now, no spraying or sunburn... yet.

We'll bring him to a show, put him in front of a judge and see what they say... get some "up close and personal" opinions from other breeders. Tort Mini Rex are not my area of expertise...

I don't know his pedigree... I do know he had a broken black brother... So he might be out of black and ???something???.

Wow what ever he is He's a very Handsome Boy. You did a great job with him.

One day I will own a Rex and he won't be all white like most of my bunnies now (5 in total are white that includes the newest bunny Fluffy found outside in the blistering heat).

Susan:)

BlueGiants wrote:
I don't know his pedigree... I do know he had a broken black brother... So he might be out of black and ???something???.

Having a broken black brother steers me to tort.

I know with sable points (and various other shadeds), the actual shading can vary of Mini Rex, depending on the genetics behind it. Their fur is so dense that if it's a shaded out of certain colors, they can have really subtle, beautiful shading patterns. And shading out of other colors can create harsh streaks, rather than subtle shading. Other times, the can have nearly no noticeable shading at all.

I've never raised MR or studied too much about them. But I've been in the process of working on getting some sable points in my Hollands and one of the better sites I found was written by an MR breeder. She explained these shading patterns and how they can be different on MR than other breeds.

Having a judge look at him would be the best idea. A lot changes in person sometimes!

Back