Mini Lop questions:

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjb

Reaction score
I am getting ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404498453.993466.jpg my new baby girl named Milly, she is 8 weeks old. I just have a few questions I hope that can get answered.

1) how long do I leave her alone for when first bringing her home?

2) when I bring her out for the first time should i start out with 1 room or let her rome the whole house? ( that I have bunny proofed)

3) treats that are safe to give her? Since I have read veggies are to risky at her age.

5) does she need shots before I take her outside to explore?

6) any tips or anything you have done that has worked for you and your baby bunny :)

thanks! I am sure I will ask many more questions when it comes closer to getting her

1. How long you let her settle can depend on her. Usually at least a full day is good, but some do need more time to adjust. Try not to do too much with her in the first couple days, but once she seems to be settled in, she should be ok to do more with you.

2. Start with a small space and gradually give her more freedom. Litter training can suffer if she is given more space too soon.

3. I would avoid treats or anything extra for at least a few weeks while she settles in and gets used to any diet changes you make (new pellets or hay). You could give some pellets by hand if you want. Once she is about 3 months old, a small bit if veggies can be given, but only small pieces. It could be a sprig of parsley, or palm sized piece of lettuce per day. Babies are more sensitive to diet changes, so best avoid giving too much too soon.

4. Vaccinations can depend on where you live. In North America, no vaccinations are needed for rabbits. In the UK and Europe, there are vaccinations that are good to get, even if your rabbit never goes outside. Other areas can vary, so you would need to check it out.
Parasite treatment may be needed depending on where you live. Some people choose to do presentation, while others only treat if there is an issue. You should talk with your vet about what would be an issue where you live, what specific risks your rabbit may have (if they go outside daily versus once in a while, or spend a lot of time on grass, or even if there are wild rabbits or other animals in the area).

Back