Mine is nest building too!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petalfuzz

Reaction score
Our Chestnut is an unspayed female, about 5 years old. She's pulled out some of her fur in years past, but has never made a nest like this! She's been extremely busy today, frantically tearing up her whole phone book and piling it into her litterbox. It also looks like she pulled out all her tummy fur to line it with. She also added her two polarfleece blankets to the mix.

I already pulled it apart once today--to get the blankets out. Then when I fed her dinner she looked at me really suspiciously and then ran to guard her nest to keep me from tearing it apart again.

So my question is: should I let her keep her nest for the time being? Should I give her a separate nesting box to use instead of her litter box? Do you think she is responding to my pregnancy pheromones (I'm 18 weeks along)? Is it because it is almost spring?

I feel so lost, we've had her for 3.5 years already and she's never acted this obsessed!

She is definitely not pregnant, as she is our only bunny. Although she really likes our similar looking black cat and humps her almost every night (sorry, Petal!)

She seems to have stopped nest building. I think she realized she can't have babies and is therefore depressed. She wasn't interested in eating anything for breakfast except her apple, but by the after noon seemed back to her perky self.

I took the opportunity to clean out the nest and put her enclosure back to rights.

Guess it was a crazy Spring thing.

Back