Mindy is digging like crazy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvbuns

Reaction score
Good morning!

Mindy has been digging every square inch of her cage for the pastweek. I wake up at 5:00 from the sound of her digging...she'scrazed. Her cage is a mess- I asked her how she could livelike this...:)

I bought Woody Pet (actually, it's equivalent from Agway) and had justchanged her cage....my husband was sitting on the floor playingCandyLand with my youngest, when Mindy began one of herrampages. It was like heavy machine gun fire- my husband andson were being pelted with woody pet pellets....of course, I washysterically laughing (they didn't see the humor)....apparently, itstung...:Dlol...

Is this common? She digs morning till night (and through thenight sometimes)...she gets time out of her cage, but usually prefersto stay in and dig....I can't figure this out....

Ericka

How old is she? Tilly is 4 months now and herdigging instinct has just kicked in, she digs our arms and feet, thecage, the carpet, the sofa, the hardwood floor...

I don't think she's as obsessed though. Maybe time will tell. As for reasons, no idea. But you're not alone.

Bobby's never dug anything.

Rabbits do have a natural urge to dig and it'sprobably just that. My buck Chompers digs all the time. We call it"housekeeping" because he always does it after we clean the cage. Mydoe Abby only dig occasionally and my other buck almost never.

I find Nuggi likes to move things around when sheis bored. If your bunny is bored in that cage maybe she is trying totell you she wants out, oryou could add some fruit treebranches or cardboard boxes for her to jump on, or otherwise dig apartto distract her.

But if she keeps digging only when you are around, maybe she is tryingto get your attention. Last time Nuggi went crazy digging, she wasactually pregnant and wanted to build a nest. However, I didn't knowshe was pregnant so she stopped eatingherpelletstotell me. I got paranoid and fed her grassuntil I saw her building a nest with that grass... Just be precautiouseheh ;)

Nothing like getting a load of bunnie-soiled Woody pet flung on your head is there?? :dude:

Binkie trashes her cage for hours. And forbid I should try to clean itup....or even try to put my hand in her cage either. She bit me againlast night. :X

Binkie (aka "LittleMissHissieFit") is a 4 month old, unspayed,teenbunnie, who is theepitomeof bunatude....WITHTEETH!! :shock:

I've had to resort to using the big ol' Woody Pet scoop to fend her off. It works pretty good, but need a longer handle. ;)

~Jim

My buns are almost 4 months and during playtimein their big backyard-they JUST started digging. And digginglike crazy! Soooo messy, but so fun to watch!

Anyone know if it is dangerous if they eat dirt?? I am surethey ingest some of it, as they are COVERED in dirt after they work ontheir burrow.

I got her about a month & 1/2 ago, sothat would make her between 4 and 5 months..so, perhaps, she is goingthrough some changes....

I have lots of toys in her cage (bird toys hanging on the cage, ballswith bells in them, paper towel rolls)...she just shoves them out ofher way and goes nuts...I think I'll have to bolt down her food dishand litter box...oh, and forget using the litter box...I thought wewere making progress, until she had it in her mouth and was swinging itaround....I tell everyone I have a 'black lop' but she thinks she's a'black lab'...:)

I'm somewhat relieved to hear this is 'normal' behavior...I thought shehad done lost her mind....:) Which, I guess she has...

Ericka

luvbuns wrote:
Itwas like heavy machine gun fire- my husband and son were being peltedwith woody pet pellets....

Ha..ha.. it would of beenfunny to see.

Pebbles would shove Woody Pet out between her hind legs and make amess. I made her watch me clean up, and I think sheknows it. To keep her from doing it any more I usea screen to cover up the Woody Pet so she can't getat it.

For her digging and chewing, sheuses a long andlarge cardboard tube. She can tunnel through that too.

Rainbows! :)

Latest posts

Back