Miley still has diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to Miley having diarrhea. Either that or her cecotrophes are very very watery. Her stomach has been gurgling a lot the past two days. Very loudly. So I thought I might try some acidopholus in her water. Since the Baytril and all the other antibiotics that the Humane's Society might be upsetting her stomach and causing imbalances in her bacteria. Please don't worry as she is not listless or lethargic at all. She is eating much more hay then before so I am hoping that that will help change things. Also I have let her have extra exercise time out of the cage. While she is in her cage she doesn't do much. I think she is bored but while out she goes nuts!

Has anyone ever used the acidopholus for rabbits other then baby rabbits? I have also stopped giving her vegetables as this might be upsetting her stomach as her previous owner only gave them a carrot for vegetables. I want to see what happens when I stop giving her vegetables. She never eats much of them when I do give them to her.

Acidophilus can be used in rabbits....and most any other species too. It's not the bacteria itself....look at the first four letters....acid. It helps to stabilize the pH in the gut. A much better product is Bene-Bac....or a similar probiotic. The L Casei and Enterococcus in this type product are very helpful to an upset GI. And stick to bunny basics....including a hay and water diet if necessary. Watch closely for any signs of dehydration. Many people think that a runny gut is a sign they should remove water.....not true. They will become very dehydrated with a runny gut. Keep him drinking.

By the way.....contrary to what you might read or be told.....DO NOT USE YOGURT!

Randy

You really should get a fecal done. Most likely an overgrowth of harmful bacteria or parasites such as coccidia. You don't need to take the rabbit in - just a sample of poo.

Pam

Thank you for all your help. Please don't hesitate to make suggestions! I am phoning the vet tomorrow to see if we can get a fecal done. Cost is not an issue as we have decided to take our savings that we were using for a trip to rescue some rabbits and take care of them. It is a long long journey though because getting a house ready for a rabbit is something that involves a lot of detail.

No there is no lactobacilli casei. Please tell me where to get Bene-bec! I will get it no matter what the cost. Do you get it at the health food store?

I am going to get some pedialyte too. What kind of pedialyte should I get?

I don't know where or if you can get it in canada but if you are near a feed store they sell the same stuff in horse probiotics.

in theUS you can get benebac at petco or petsmart

it will say probiotics and if L casei is in it that's what the bun needs ...

You can also order it off the internet but it would take time

get unflavored pedialyte if you can but if not get any flavor and dilute it with water

ra7751 wrote:
Acidophilus can be used in rabbits....and most any other species too. It's not the bacteria itself....look at the first four letters....acid. It helps to stabilize the pH in the gut. A much better product is Bene-Bac....or a similar probiotic. The L Casei and Enterococcus in this type product are very helpful to an upset GI. And stick to bunny basics....including a hay and water diet if necessary. Watch closely for any signs of dehydration. Many people think that a runny gut is a sign they should remove water.....not true. They will become very dehydrated with a runny gut. Keep him drinking.

By the way.....contrary to what you might read or be told.....DO NOT USE YOGURT!

Randy
So hay and water is okay? Don't give veggies or pellets?

Just wanted to add a little note to Pam's advice. When you get a "fecal" done at a vet (and as Pam mentioned, that is a good idea) they are usually checking for parasites such as worms and/or coccidia. It's called a float. It is not always accurate. Many times a vet (I do the same) will go ahead and treat for the most common worms regardless of the fecal. The more advanced fecal is a culture and it takes more time but provides great information. The primary harmful bacteria that affects the gut are various strains of Clostridium and/or E Coli. There are two ways to combat this. One way is with drugs. The other is to get the beneficial bacterial count back in order and the good stuff will control the bad stuff. I think Pam gave excellent advice and a fecal study would be in order. Again as Pam mentioned, it isn't always necessary to bring the rabbit in, some fresh poop will usually do. Sometimes the vet may want the rabbit brought in to get a really fresh sample using a loop in which they actually go in there and extract the fecal matter....but that is a rarely performed procedure but something that might need to be done.

Randy

Some fresh poop is sitting on the vets counter as we type! She will be phoning me later on today to tell me the results. So this one is a float. I asked the receptionist. I will ask if they can do a culture too. The vet is a friend of mine.

ilovetoeatchocolate wrote:
Cost is not an issue as we have decided to take our savings that we were using for a trip to rescue some rabbits and take care of them.

Youre such a special person- I wish more people had this mentality. Bless you- any rabbit would be so lucky to come into your home.

Benebac can usually be purchased at most pet stores or online stores like this: http://www.rabbitmart.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-9365

I think its good youre removing veggies if she has runny poops. Lots of hay and hydration is good. You can still give her pellets but just maybe 1/4 cup or so a day.

Any kind of pedialyte will be fine. Most people say to get unflavored but Ive found mine will drink a lot more if I get the cherry flavored.

Awwww! My poor baby has worms! The vet looked at the fecal sample and phoned me. We have meds waiting at home for me to give them. I have never given a rabbit oral meds via the syringe. Wish me luck!

Oh and also, the vet looked at the balance between the good and bad bacteria and she said that it was great!

Alaska had worms once too. Are you going to give them the pill form or the liquid form? My vet gave me pills that I had to halve and give to her...not fun :grumpy: I hope that you able to get the liquid form. What type of worms does she have?

EDIT: I guess you do have the liquid since you are talking about syringes for oral meds..oops!

I don't know what kind I will have to ask the vet. I am going to give her a break from my constant calling. I have been calling since Saturday to talk about Miley. I will call in a few days as I have other questions.

I woke up and Miley's problem seems to be getting better. The fecal matter is geting much more hard in consistency. Is this normal for the medication to work this fast? That after one treatment it is getting better? Also, would the parasites be causing the problem of the diarrhea?

Shannon

What type of medication? That would help us venture a guess as to what type of parasite.

It's hard to say whether it's the medication or coincidence that the droppings are getting more consistent.

If you rabbit was diagnosed with pinworms, you'll see a lot in the droppings about 3 days after the first does of medication.

Pam

Latest posts

Back