Mila the rebel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinaLuvsBo

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Just thought I'd let you in on whats been going on with MILA.
For starters, Let me just say she has done a total 360. Since DAY 1 of getting her we'd let her run wild pretty much ALL DAY. It's been 3 days since I've allowed Mila to come out her cage -- I FEEL TERRIBLE.

On Thursday 2/21 - My fiance allowed Mila to run loose and she started playing around with my 5 year old nephew who is Autistic. He is a gentle boy so we have no worries when it comes to him being around Mila with minimal supervision. Mila, on the other hand was NOT being a very good bunny. She kept biting on my nephew (Nathaniel). At first we just told her "No'' but she kept on so much that she spooked my little boy, and we had to put Mila back in her cage for a little 'Time out' which meant NO Apples for Mila.

On Friday 2/22 - I allowed Mila to run loose because I needed to clean out her cage and she decided to escape and go into a non-bunny proof room, which had wires out. I called out for her for about 10 minutes until she finally popped out and came to me. When i reached out to grab her she ran until she found my nephew and once again tried to nibble. That was that for Mila.

On Saturday 2/23 - My fiance allowed her to run around for about 3 hours with no one, but himself in the room so that she wouldn't harm anyone.

I know that she is small and practically harmless but I don't tolerate ANY type of animal nibbling in my home. Does this make me a Meanie ? I just see it as discipline .. At this point when someone walks by her she stands up in her cage until that person walks away .. Any Ideas on how I can handle it or am I doing the right thing ?

We are not abandoning Mila, nor ignoring her! She is still allowed out daily but not all day, just for 1-3 hours depending who's attending her needs .. I feel so terrible, and even thought maybe it was a bad Idea getting her knowing my nephew has his needs as well ( I raised him):panic:

I would get an xpen or nic setup to put her in. You can't discipline an instinctive behavior out of a rabbit. An xpen or nic setup will keep her away from what she could harm.

Unfortunately I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and can't do anymore than I have. We are moving soon to Florida, and she will have a huge back yard to run around in. I think by keeping her in the cage has help a lot. She has been a very good girl since and has not nibbled on my nephew, Nathaniel.

Mila is 5 months old and from a pet store right? So this is her first home outside of a pet store. Plus, she is at sexual maturity so her hormones are raging.

First off I would say to find a rabbit savvy vet and get her fixed. Spayed and neutered rabbits just overall make better companions. Hormones drive everything they do and an unaltered rabbit especially at her age and peak of hormones, is gonna get into more trouble. Before my girl was spayed she was a terror. I can't even tell you how much she calmed down after the spay.

But, that won't take care of it all. As far as chewing on wires or furniture, you will never be able to stop that. It's a natural behavior so the idea is preventative. Bunny proofing and providing toys. If bunny chews on a wire it's owners fault, not bunny ;)

Now, nipping and chewing on people can be something you can train them not to do. More than likely shes nots doing it to be mean. For one, it's hormones, and for two...young buns nip and groom this way with their teeth. Mila just needs to be taught that her human friends don't have fur and this hurts! You can gently push her head down when she bites like a momma would do to a kit and say no. Also "eeeeking" in a high pitch voice to indicate pain can be a deterrent as well. Be consistent to NEVER give her what she wants when she nips. If it's for attention or pets or a treat, don't give her that!

She's a young bun in her first home and she is unspayed. She's not doing anything abnormal. This is the age when people most usually start seeing some unwanted behaviors. If you get her spayed and work on some things, she will become a well adjusted bun :)

Latest posts

Back