miko desexing/behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko

Reaction score
recently i found out that miko ( pronounced m-ee-ko) is actually a boy and will need to be de-sexed as we hope to get him a female friend.

i just wanted to ask about a few things with people that have had their male rabbits de-sexed:

1. do you think it is a good idea?
2. have any of your buns experienced complications during/after the operation?
3. the vets want to keep him overnight do you think i should take some objects with him that he is familiar with so he feels safe?
4. what objects should i take?

oh and two more things:
1. what is your bunnies favourite treat!?
2. what is your bunnies name?
3. what does it mean when he lies down flat on the ground with his legs behind him and either grooms himself or stays still?

you don't have to answer all these questions but if anyone would be willing to help me out i'd really appreciate it!

It is a very good idea, for his health and behavioural benefit. I have had 2 boys neutered, no complications. Be sure to pick a rabbit-savvy vet though, some cat and dog vets may not know too much about rabbits' special anaesthesia needs. During his stay you should provide some pellets and lots of hay. You don't need to take anything else. Unless your bun is very attached to a blankie or soft toy?

My bunnies currently are named Merlin and Sasha. :) They love fresh veggies such as cilantro, bok choy, broccoli and basil. When a bun lies down flat it means he is very relaxed and comfortable!

Definitely have him neutered! Best thing I ever did. I sent my bunny in with dried dandelion as they need their fav when the vets are trying to get them to eat after the op.
He didn't have anything else.
Sonny did have complications.. they said he thinks he's a dog and had pulled out his stitches before I could pick him up. They sorted it all fine and he came home . With a cat cone on his head bless him!
His name is Sonny Jim. .. favourite Is banana... makes him twitch cause he loves it that much.
Laying flat etc is him being content and happy :)

In regards to the neutering:
1. Yes I think it's a good idea, even more important if you ever hope to bond him with another rabbit.
2. Bandit didn't have any complications when he was neutered.
3. It's a little odd that they want to keep him overnight, what time do they do the surgery? I dropped Bandit off early in the morning, and was able to pick him up later that afternoon.
4. I took hay, a little bit of pellets, maybe a toy, and his blanket.

General Q's:
1. Bandit considers his pellets a treat, he goes crazy for them. However he also loves the tiny pieces of carrots I give him on occasion.
2. Bandit :p
3. That pose with the legs stretched out behind indicates a relaxed bunny, it means they feel safe enough to stretch out.

Latest posts

Back