Miffy's been chewing her dewlap - AGAIN.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awww poor little miffy,but it sounds like she is doing a bit better than she was before :)

cheryl

mummybunny posted:
"The other thing though she has been doing is plucking fur from downthe other side of her dewlap, so she has a big pink strip of skin withdowny hair where she's been pulling - but at least no biting!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's what Binkie has been doing !!!!

Binkie had the abcess removed through the side of her dewlap, and nowshe has plucked a strip of fur down the front of her dewlap.
I'm not too concerned, but will be if she breaks the skin !***knocks on wood!!***

~Jim

Spoke too soon, she WAS doing reallywell....until last night when I picked her up to have a look and shehad mauled the area again, holes, blood, lots of grunting and growlingfrom Miffy. Doused it in surgical scrub, and it's looking really soretoday. Miffy and Munchkin are off to vet tomorrow anyway for boostersso will have to have vet look at it - AGAIN. I just wish she'd stophurting herself AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!

mummybunny x

I feel so sorry for you - you have triedeverything to get Miffy to stop chewing on herself, it must be soooofrustrating. Perhaps she should wear a bib - made ofsteel!!!! Good luck at the vet .... again!

Jan

He gave us a lampshade, which we attempted toput on her some weeks ago, we were (poor bunny) laughing so much we hadtears running down our faces, we felt soooo sorry for her bumping intoeverything. Her ears were all bunched up around her cheeks, her cheekswere all bunched up around her eyes. We had to take it off, I'mafraid!!!

Aww! poor Miffy! (but it is so veryfunny when they bump into everything!). Have you tried bitter apple?it's what I use... seems to work pretty well.

I'm not sure, but my dog since he's gotten olderisn't himself anymore and he sometimes pulls out his fur for noreason.. he just takes a mouthfull and almsot tries to rip it out. Wehad to get these wipe things to soothe dogs skin that has this bittertaste to them and that seemed to help. Not sure if they are ok forrabbits though.

It comes in a deodarant like thing or wipes. I can't find a picture ofit but I'll keep looking, but I don't know if it's safe for rabbits.

Miffy and Munchkin got their myxi boosterstoday. Vet could not administer another steroid injection into her newwound as it has some kind of contra-indication with the myxi jag, so wewill just have to clean it with the surgical scrub. We've to go back in4 weeks for their VHD boosters so maybe she can, if she persists inchewing at the new wound, get a steroid injection then.......ho hum!

mummybunny

Ohhh it sounds like a never ending battle withMiffy,im wondering who would be more stressed than who by now:ponder:,poor Miffy,just what are we going to do with that little girl:)

cheryl

mummybunny wrote:
What's 'bitter apple', is it a liquid/cream? Where can you get it?
Bitter apple is a liquid designed to stop animals from chewingthemselves. You can get it at the pet store for around $5, and I've hadvery good results with it.

I wonder if it actually itches inside due to thehealing and that's why they keep fussing and biting at it. Binkie'sstill pulling fur and over-grooming her dewlap, but no broken skin***knocks on wood***.

After my recent surgery, it itched so bad "inside" that I though I was going to go crazy.

mummybunny,how is our little girl going,is she doing any better?or is she still doing the same thing?

cheryl

Hi all,

well, she opened up a big hole in her dewlap on Friday, next to the bigscab and was in a total mess. The wound was about the size andthickness of your thumb. Luckily no signs of infection. We took her tothe vet again yesterday and she was given steroid injections into thewound again. It is a long lasting slow release steroid that lasts about4 or 5 weeks. It worked really well last time, until it had nearlytotally healed and then she mauled herself again. Mad, mad bun.

But Miffy, if you keep going to the vet, mommywon't have any money left for treats! Now wouldn't that be horrible?!?So stop chewing your dewlap lil' girl!

awwww Miffy what are we going to do with you? :ponder:poor mummy must be getting so stressed out by now

cheryl

Latest posts

Back