Microchip your (or a rescue) rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gixxer and Takumi both have chips since they came from animal control, my city's AC chips all their intakes.

They are both mini rexes so both are on the small side and I haven't seen any ill effects of the chips, it will be 3 years in Oct. since I got Gixxer and 2 years in Dec. for Takumi.

I did not transfer the information from the shelter because if, god forbid, something happens and they become lost they will be taken to animal control who will then in turn contact me.

I think that this is purely a personal preference. My buns are 100% inside animals so I never thought I had a need to chip them. Kat brings up an excellent point about chipping in case of a fire, I never thought of that.

My families dog got lost once. We were out on a walk, she saw a bird, freaked out and popped her collar. It was a very strange situation and completely unlike her. Because we werent close to home she didnt know how to find her way back. She ran wild in the hills for days before someone finally managed to catch her and bring her to a shelter.

She is a beautiful, very friendly dog but she is also a boxer which is a bully breed. I'm sure someone would have adopted her very quickly or she would have been put down. Either way we might not have gotten her back.

She was microchipped and that brought her home. All my my dogs are microchipped. The rabbit is not because I think that's a bit unnecessary but that's just because Lulu is never free outside because I dont have a yard and I dont trust her to know not to run off. I think its extremely important for pets who go outside (or could escape outside) to be microchipped.

Our dog and 7 month old kitten are chipped.....the dog I had done when he got the last of his puppy shots (the rescue didn't chip him) and our kitten was chipped when we adopted him from the shelter. Quil (kitten)'s chip has migrated down to his "upper arm" area (not sure what to call it), but thats the only "bad experience" we have had. I will be taking my other 2 cats in to get their chips done pretty soon (we are moving cross country in 2 years, I want to be safe!!) :). Even though my kitties are inside only, their is still a risk they could get outside - they do not wear collars, so I feel safer knowing they will be chipped as identification.

I won't chip the buns, as I just don't think its necessary as they don't go outside (maybe once a year).

My cockatiels are microchipped. The needle looked big, but the chip really was grain of rice sized and the birds didn't make a sound when it was injected! I had them microchipped in the off chance they ever get outside and fly away.

Of my three current bunnies, only Rory is microchipped. I had them do it when he was under for his neuter, but I don't really think it would have traumatized him if he was awake. I decided to have him microchipped because my bunnies go outside often in the summer. We have a chainlink fenced yard, and the bunnies run around in their bunny enclosure made of two children's play yards put together, and they're never left alone... but I feel better knowing that if he ever gets away, at least he's microchipped. Oh and before I had it done, I called the animal shelter in my town (no rabbit rescues) and they said they scan ALL animals that come in.

Skyler was microchipped during his neuter too, but Ned and Phoebe weren't. Ned came to me neutered and I completely forgot to ask the vet to microchip Phoebs when she was spayed!

Latest posts

Back