Messy litter box habits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
Arlo is 4 months old. I’ve had him for 2 months. Lately his litter box habits have become very messy. He seems to be peeing a lot more which is causing the litter to become dense much more quickly. He’s also been 10 times messier with the hay and manages to get it all over the place. I’ve been changing his littler box much more often and every time I do pee leaks through the pee pad, and it’s all wet at the bottom from the pee leaking through. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to stop the pee from leaking through? Should I put newspapers underneath the pee pad to serve as an extra layer?? Could it be his hormones causing him to have messier litter habits?

What, exactly, is messy about his habits? From what you write it sounds more like your setup isn't optimal. Like, if the pee pads don't work change to a litter that works - I use wood stove pellets topped with hay.

If you use pee pads because everywhere, I would remove all soft stuff from areas where he is not supposed to pee, and only have the litter box. And just waterproof, easy to wipe flooring anywhere else. How would he else know where to pee, or realize that the litter box is the most comfortable spot when everything feels like a toilet.

Anyway, this can be a trying age, with puberty in full swing, but thinking about the setup would be worth a shot.

Agree with above. How is the setup for cage and litter box right now? Hormones can make that urine have a stronger odor and can affect behavior too.

Latest posts

Back