Membrane on rabbits eye

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Anthony Mottola, Oct 31, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Oct 31, 2019 #1

Anthony Mottola

Anthony Mottola

Anthony Mottola

My rabbit is around 4 years old he is a dwarf lion head bunny and I have noticed a membrane is forming on his eye it is white and sort of slimey. This has happened before but I didn’t think much of it however this time it happened I was able to remove the membrane and now a day later it’s back! I am not sure what is causing this. I attached photos of it (not very good I know) by the way the last one was bigger (the one I removed). If anyone knows what this is let me know please. Update I was able to get it out of his eye and have attached another photo of it (blurry but shows the size)

Attached Files:

2. Oct 31, 2019 #2

Catlyn

Catlyn

Catlyn

Don't know exactly what it is, but take your bun to the vet so that they can give proper diagnosis and treatment.

3. Oct 31, 2019 #3

Hermelin

Hermelin

Hermelin

My bunny had that problem, but it was because of dust. He got his tear ducts plugged and had to have eye drops and massage everyday for a month

But it can be other problems also. But you can try not have it so dusty where you have your bunny.

But if it not dust, take to the vet to check the tear ducts and teeth ^^

4. Nov 2, 2019 #4

Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1

I was wondering what color it is and if it could be sinus related. The dust sounds reasonable to me. And drops don’t sound too bad

5. Nov 2, 2019 #5

JBun

JBun

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Something like that is usually a clump of fur that gets in the eye. Happens to my white rabbits all the time. Sometimes I can flush it out with sterile saline eye drops.

If it's a white sticky substance at the corner of the eye, that's usually from an eye infection.

Duckfarmer1 likes this.
  6. Nov 3, 2019 #6

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

My one rabbit used to get this every time I would get a new bale of hay, she would also have a clear discharge from her nose, I think it was either dust or she was allergic to the hay lol. Anyway, it never bothered mine, its probably is just allergies from dust or something.

Duckfarmer1 likes this.