Mella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know it's been ages since I'vebeen here. I've been so busy planning my wedding that it's practicallya part-time job. We only have 3 months until the big day so everythingI put off until now, has to get done.

I wanted to share what happened to my youngest rabbit Mella last night.Like all other rabbit mommy's I'm very careful to hide electricalcords. The only thing that is exposed in our living room is a plug fora lamp. The wire to the lamp is hidden behind furniture. My rabbitshave never shown an interest in outlets, so I wasn't concerned that itwas exposed.

Last night Mella had a terrible accident. She bit the plug of a lamp.We heard a huge pop and carl (thefiancee)saw a hugespark and then Mella ran under the couch. The outlet is now black, andwhen I picked up Mella her whiskers, lips and teeth were burned. I heldher in my lap and she rested her sore little mouth on an ice pack. Wetook her to a pet ER right away. On the way there she was in my lapdrooling. I suppose she couldn't feel her tiny lips. The vet told usthat even though she seemed OK her lungs and throat may have beenburned. It seems that if they were, her lungs could fill with fluid andshe would suffocate. She needed chest x-rays and oxygen. They put herin a small oxygen cage and kept her over night. The vet was notoptimistic.

I felt so awful for her. She'd never been away from Pauly (her mate)she was surrounded by strangers and dogs. She and Pauly spend all oftheir time grooming and playing with eachother. Even when they sleepthey snuggle together.

This morning the vetcalledand said shecouldn't believe it, but Mella is fine. She ate some hay and a littlefruit this morning. The vet thinks she'll probably eat more at home,since she's so nervous. I'm so relieved. I want to pick her up thismorning, but I have to get to work. The vet doesn't want us to bringher home unless we can watch her. Even though we're passed the worst ofit, she could still have complications. We're planning to leave workearly to get her home so she can get some TLC from us, and more thanthat from Pauly.

It just goes to show, that you can't be too careful withrabbits.She'd never shown an interest in outlets except forthis one time.

Good Lord, Sarah! What a horrible scare!!

Please keep us posted on how she does when she goes home, and thank youfor reminding us all of this very important message. Iwould've freaked if I saw my babies that way. I can't imaginehow many times your heart skipped a beat.

Prayers and thoughts will go out to you and your baby girl today for a quick and complete recovery.

-Carolyn

I am so sorry about your bun's accident! That isjust horrible that such a scary incident like that occurred. Thankgoodness that she appears to be okay. I hope that she will make a fullrecovery, and will have no ill-effects from the ordeal. Give her lotsof love and kisses from all of us!
I know we'll all keep her in our thoughts, sending "good recovery vibes" her way.

Oh that's awful! I hope she'll bealright, you must have been petrified when she did that!Thank goodness she's making a recovery!

Ang xx

Buck Jones wrote:
So sorry to hear of Mella's close call! I've beentold that there are two ways to learn,...shock andrepetition. I think Mella may have learned her lesson well.

Buck
Thank you guys for your sweet words.

We hope she's learned her lesson. She's not really one for learningconsequences. Now that we know she's OK, there is the issue of re-bunnyproofing everything. On top of her hurting herself, we have a largeunusable lamp and a burnt electical outlet. We're getting to the pointthat our apartment is so rabbit-proof that it's not user friendly forpeople. We're going to have to explore other means of keeping themsafe, while still living with lights.

I was so upset by her accident, I'm nervous about allowing her thefreedom she used to have. This has been a long time coming with her. Ifshe's not attempting electrocution, she can be found scaling shelves tochew on books, trying to ingest carpet, or making great efforts to getinto non-rabbit-proofed rooms. She's adorable in her mischief, but I'mreally at my wit's end.

I am very commited to my rabbits, and would never punish them for beingthe way rabbits are. They have a huge cage, and run time every day.It's gotten to the point with Mella's shenanigans that it's difficultto enjoy their run time, because she's in trouble even if she's just onthe floor in plain sight, because she wants to eat the carpet. I use asquirt bottle, I yell no, I clap my hands. I've put bitter apple on therug. She responds to all of these things, but they make no lastingimpression. 5 minutes later she's up to her tricks again.

Sorry, I just had to vent. I know it's all part of having houserabbits. It can just be such a handful sometimes. I guess I'm just soworked up about her accident that I don't know how to keep them safe,while still having a livable home.

Sarah wrote:
I wasso upset by her accident, I'm nervous about allowing her the freedomshe used to have. This has been a long time coming with her. If she'snot attempting electrocution, she can be found scaling shelves to chewon books, trying to ingest carpet, or making great efforts to get intonon-rabbit-proofed rooms. She's adorable in her mischief, but I'mreally at my wit's end.

I am very commited to my rabbits, and would never punish them for beingthe way rabbits are. They have a huge cage, and run time every day.It's gotten to the point with Mella's shenanigans that it's difficultto enjoy their run time, because she's in trouble even if she's just onthe floor in plain sight, because she wants to eat the carpet. I use asquirt bottle, I yell no, I clap my hands. I've put bitter apple on therug. She responds to all of these things, but they make no lastingimpression. 5 minutes later she's up to her tricks again.

Sorry, I just had to vent. I know it's all part of having houserabbits. It can just be such a handful sometimes. I guess I'm just soworked up about her accident that I don't know how to keep them safe,while still having a livable home.
what about creating them a large play pen?you could make it anysize you want, even include most the room, cover over the rugwith bunny safe things to chew like the grass matts, or get some sheetsof coroplast and cover the rug with that, just a couple ideasof keeping sanity but allowing room to run, and still being able tolive in that room..It is funny how one bun that house will be bunnyproof for they never touch a thing in the manner you bunny proof, butthen you have another who shows you all the "holes in your system"

I'm so sorry this happened :(, but I'm really glad she's okay!

Gabby had a great idea! Their safety is ultimately more important thanhow much space they have to run in. With my rabbits, they're only outwhen I am right there to supervise them. My room isn't 110%rabbit-proofed, and I'm just not willing to risk it. You know what?They're okay! Sure, they'd probably enjoy 24/7 free running time, butthat's just not possible. Several hours of running and binky-ing whileI do homework, plus some good one-on-one down on the floor loving fromme, is all they really need. :)

Thanks so much forsharing your story. I was aware of the dangers of electrical cords butI didn't know the details of what could happen in the lungs andsuch.I didn't know that if the bunny seemed okay at first itcould have complications of that sort later and suffocate from thefluid. That's horrible! I'm really glad to know that. I always watchbut I think I might make everyone in my family read this. Now if onlythey understood the repercussions of Sebastian eatingflip-flops......

RaspberrySwirl

Hi Sarah,

I am so sorry Mella got hurt. That poor littledear. She's very cute, give her a kiss on her little nose forme.

Thank you sharing this story. I am very careful about tryingto keep cords hidden and whatnot, but I never thought they could gethurt so badly!

bo actually bit into my son's gameboy charger cord. It washooked up at the time also. I wonder if he got ashock? One bite is all it took and it ruined thecord. I caught him so he didn't chew on itmore.

Now, I will be even more careful. I am going to get some covers for cords that are supposedly hidden. :(

I hope Mella enjoys a complete recovery and thatyou are able to figure out something to keep your sanity wile ensuringthe buns safety.

Jen

I'm so glad she is okay, Ihope she keeps recovering. Thank you for the story, it gave me a littlescare and it'll teach me to be extra careful. Nepo really likes to chewon cords but I usually catch him and push him away. He ruined a cordfrom our artificial tree, but luckily the tree wasn't turned on.

Good Luck with your wedding. :)

I'm glad everything worked out okay! Poor Mella.I have to keep my bunnies in the same room as my computer, whichobviously has a lot of wires that could get bunnies into trouble. Ibought this dog pen fence from Petco which stands about 2 ft high and Iblock off a play area for them. It's been working quite well so far, soyou might want to check it out.

Wow that's amazing! I'll have Mr. Wiggles send some of his appetite her way :D I hope she's feeling 100% soon!

Megan

Thanks for your well-wishes! She's much better.We brought Pauly along when we picked her up last night. I couldn'tbelieve how excited she was to put on her harness! That's reallyunheard of with these two.As soon as she saw Pauly sittingnext to me on Carl's lap she tried to get to him. They laid in the backseat together in that parrallel bunny way the whole way home.

When she first got home she wouldn't eat much. I think she was tired.She speant the night with bright lights and dogs, and she is a nervouslittle girl. After we went to bed, I snuck out to see how she was.Pauly was sleeping and she was steadily grazing on hay and oatmeal (herfavorite treat that some worried mommy left for her)

This morning she is her old little piggy self. Eating and then floppingdown for a nap. I'm so relieved. She has a follow up with her regularvet on Friday, and I'm sure she'll get a clean bill of health.

I swear the rabbit forum good health wishes work. I've yet to see them fail. Thanks for your kind words guys.

Thank God, Sarah! You've taught us all a very valuable lesson.

Thank you for sharing this story. Thank Goodness it was a happy ending. Good on ya, Sarah!

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back