Megacolon

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape337

April
Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering if my Freckles might have mega colon. I've posted before about his many bouts with stasis, then bouts with strangely shaped poo. I've read about mega colon many times but Freckles has never been diagnosed with it. He seems to fit the bill.

The one thing I haven't seen in the literature is if it's curable. I must admit the massive clean up after this kind of issue is irritating. He's the sweetest little bunny and I feel sorry for him. And he's the messiest little bunny I've ever seen too. He uses his litter box 100% of the time for urinating, but I don't think he can really control the poo messes he makes.

He eats grass hay and limited veggies. I did learn that hubby felt sorry for him and slipped him a pellet or 2 in the mornings. I could have killed him when I found out. So now he's really just on hay and veggies. Parsley and romaine, sometimes baby greens mix. I just really wonder if hubby sticks to the plan, will Freckles ever be normal? Or is this a lifelong revolving issue? And will this effect his lifespan 😐?

Thanks for your input

Have you tried eliminating veggies to determine if those are to blame? (I don't remember if that's something you've done in the past)

Failing that, I'm sure JBun will show up and chime in here - she's got a megacolon bunny and a LOT of experience in this area, so she'll have the best advice for you.

I have tried for a week to not give veggies, but it didn't seem to change anything. Maybe I didn't give it long enough? Perhaps i should try again for a longer period of time. Thanks 😊

I can't speak for rabbits but my cat has megacolon and it's finally being managed by a combination of the Chinese herb, Da Huang and subcutaneous fluids. My vet told me that if megacolon is treated early that the colon can regain its size and elasticity. Advanced megacolon, there's not a lot that can be done other than surgery. In my opinion that's way too risky. That herb btw works by drawing fluid into the colon. That was my cats problem, being too dry. Increasing fibre didn't work for her but in most cases lots of fibre and water is the solution. Colon stimulants can also be used, like cascara or senna. These work by essentially irritating the colon and causing it to spasm to move the poop through but the animal can become dependant on them. Not sure how any of these things would work on a rabbit or if they would be safe or not. Sedentary lifestyle, stress and kidney dysfunction are some of the other causes of megacolon too.

I think whether there is the possibility of it being curable would depend on what is causing it in your rabbit. If it's a genetic trait or there is permanent damage to the digestive system then I don't imagine it would be curable.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Differential/mega_differential.htm

Right now I have two rabbits that have megacolon. I have one rabbit that was born with it, and another that I believe has it due to damage to his digestive tract from repeated bouts with stasis. Both have the irregular shaped fecal poop that is small and large, and sometimes football shaped, and on occasion there may be a few softer ones. What has worked for me to help keep them stabile and well, is carefully managing their diet. My bun that has the digestive damage is fed grass hay, a little alfalfa(to keep his weight up), and a few leafy greens. My other rabbit that was born with it, gets all of that as well as a small amount of pellets, as he can tolerate a small amount without it causing any problems. I try to feed a more mature hay as I feel like more indigestible fiber seems to help their gut function. I've read of some people having better success using pellets for their megacolon buns, as well as forage being used successfully. I think the diet requirements for rabbits with megacolon varies. You just have to find out what works best for your rabbit. For my buns, pellets/treats seem to cause them more issues.

You could try a hay only diet longer, to see if it helps at all. Or if you feed a softer leafy hay, maybe trying a more mature stemmy hay. A gut stimulant like cisapride or metaclop, might be something to consider as well(I'm not sure of safe herbal alternatives though). I've read of gut stimulants being helpful for some rabbits, though it's not something that I've tried. Unfortunately sometimes it takes trial and error to see what works or doesn't work.

I think lifespan would be dependent on how severe a case your rabbit has, and if you are able to find a way that manages the affects of it well. If you can find a diet/meds that minimize his chances of stasis, that should help significantly.

Beverly, I believe megacolon in cats and dogs is different than in rabbits, though I don't know how as I'm not familiar with how dogs and cats are affected with it. Though if fiber, hydration, and gut stimulation are used to help cats with it, then that is something they have in common with rabbits, as those sometimes are helpful for rabbits as well.

Thanks everyone. I never thought of trying the different textures of hay. I'm thinking another vet visit is in order just to try and discover what the problem is if we can. Perhaps some meds/herbs could help him as well. He goes for long periods where he doesn't go into stasis, but his poos are rarely normal. He is a spotted bunny but idk if his condition is genetic or not.

Being a spotted rabbit, my guess would be that it is genetic. Hopefully your vet can help you find a solution that helps get the stasis under control. It's pretty stressful when you know your bun is prone to getting sick easily.

Back