Megacolon (symptoms) and Pellets...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Ireally want to re-introduce pellets to all three of my rabbits, though I have my assumption that all three possibly won't be able to tolerate the same pellet brand/type.

My megacolon bun hasn't been on pellets for maybe at least 14 months' now. She was fedSun Seed brand pellets (alfalfa-based, I believe) when we got her and shortly thereafter. (I can't recall if I converted her to Oxbow BB/T before stopping feeding her pellets....:()

I've read that many megacolon buns supposedly do better on Kaytee Rainbow Exact, but I have reservations about feeding her an alfalfa-based pellet that's loaded with colors and other iffy ingredients. (I'm not a fan of Kaytee in general....)

Jenk

I'm not a big fan of Kaytee either........but I use it.

All but one of my buns get the Kaytee Timothy Complete. I've tried Oxbox and Zupreme timothy pellets, but no-bun will eat them.

Chippy gets the Kaytee Supreme (alfalfa). She won't touch anything else, but seems to do okay on it.
The closest thing that describes her symptoms is megacolon.

angieluv wrote:
http://www.kaytee.com/products/exact-rainbow-rabbit-25-lb115472.php

Idon't think that this is a bad pellet

IfI was you I would try it ; you have little else to do

The only negative thing about it is the fat content is high

I have also read that mega-colon buns do better on it .
After reading the many vague ingredients listed for Purina, perhaps Kaytee's product isn't the worst pellet ever. ;)

My thing, though, is that I don't know if it may be worthwhile to try her on Oxbow BB/T first to see if she reacts poorly to it--or happens to do fine on it. It's been so long since she's had any pellets, that she could be a bun who does relatively okay on pellets in general. For all I know, anyway....Ack...

JimD wrote:
All but one of my buns get the Kaytee Timothy Complete. I've tried Oxbox and Zupreme timothy pellets, but no-bun will eat them.
I don't have a problem with my bunners turning up their noses at Oxbow BB/T; all three will suck it down (and likely just about any other pellet) without blinking.
Chippy gets the Kaytee Supreme (alfalfa). She won't touch anything else, but seems to do okay on it. The closest thing that describes her symptoms is megacolon.
If I may ask, what is Chippy's weight and what quantity of Kaytee pellets do you feed her daily?

Also, how are her megacolon symptoms while on the pellets? (Did they worsen when you first began feeding Kaytee pellets to her,and time wasneeded time for them to regulate again? Do you ever decrease the amount of pellets that you feed her depending upon her fecal output--e.g., if her fecals get overly moist, etc.?)

Sorry for the questions. My anxiety makes it difficult for me to move forward with any changes for my rabbits; I'm fearful of causing them more digestive issues (requiring more vet visits). At the same time, I know that a hay-only diet isn't enough for Zoe.

I've read that Kaytee Exact is supposed to be good for megacolon buns too, but I haven't tried it. Fey's problems seem more directly linked to protein than digestability. She can eat tons of veggies of all sorts, just no fresh clover or pea leaves.

I'd recommend trying one of the timothy pellets, just start really small such as a teaspoon a day. I personally use Oxbow. I haven't tried any others because as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Fey does still have occasional issues but really not that bad or often.

Edit: Fey weighs about 3.5 lbs. Before Oberon moved in with her she was getting one tablespoon of pellets twice a day. Now they share 1/8 cup twice a day. She does get somewhat more issues this way but Oberon needs some pellets and most days she's more interested in the veggies and hay and lets him scarf them all down.

Also, I've never had a rabbit refuse Oxbow BB/T. Then again, every rabbit to ever live in my house hates bananas. Luna only likes them now that she's at Myheart's house. Something in the water, perhaps?

naturestee wrote:
I've read that Kaytee Exact is supposed to be good for megacolon buns too, but I haven't tried it. Fey's problems seem more directly linked to protein than digestability.
I've been hopeful that I may be able to feed all three of my rabbits one pellet type (so that I can maybe buy a larger bag, save a lil' money in doing so and still manage to not waste too many pellets). But I don't know that I'd be so lucky....
I'd recommend trying one of the timothy pellets, just start really small such as a teaspoon a day. I personally use Oxbow. I haven't tried any others because as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
A teaspoon? Oh, not I! I need to start with maybe 2-3 pellets per day for at least a week. I'ddo that partly for Zoe'sdigestive system and partly for my own nerves. :D
...I've never had a rabbit refuse Oxbow BB/T. Then again, every rabbit to ever live in my house hates bananas. Luna only likes them now that she's at Myheart's house. Something in the water, perhaps?
I've often wondered if the water is to blame for the various bunny digestive issues that seem to occur under my roof....:?

Er, the water comment was a joke! They get filtered city water here and used to get rusty well water at the apartment previously. No changes in their food preferances or GI issues.:)

naturestee wrote:
Er, the water comment was a joke! They get filtered city water here and used to get rusty well water at the apartment previously. No changes in their food preferances or GI issues.:)
Oh, I know that. LOL!!! But there comes a time when that expression ("It must be the water") still makes one take pause when you go through a number of pet health issues. My guys currently drink bottled spring water, but I plan to invest in a decent filter for our kitchen sink; so they'll hopefully be drinking filtered city water soon, as well.

Back