Meeting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karona

Reaction score
I took my bunny to visit a friends bun today.And when we intorduced them my bun mounted hers. They are both female,hers is 11 months and is spayed and mine is 5 months and not spayed. Isthis a normal reaction??

I'm not terribly familiar with introducingbunnies (in fact, I'm not in the least), but you can check out the main article on theBonding Bunnies page.

Here's what that article has to say about mounting:

"Mounting

Relationships with rabbits aren't always a partnership.Sometimes there is a dominant bunny while other times it can be afairly even relationship. If one rabbit is trying to establish itselfas the alpha (dominant) bunny, they will typically try to mount theirmate. The alpha rabbit can be a bit bossy and may push the other rabbitaround. One example of this behavior is the alpha rabbit may apply agentle nip letting the submissive rabbit know that they need to movebecause they are sleeping in their spot. The relationship between everypair is different. Some are close to true partnerships with give andtake by both. Others are fairly lopsided. Both male and females rabbitswill mount. There are many relationships where the female rabbit isdominant, bossing her mate around.

If one rabbit is mounting the other, I will gently stroke thesubmissive bun and talk to them in a gentle manner. I will let themounting behavior go on for 10-20 seconds and then gently push thedominant bun off. Discourage them from mounting again for a fewminutes. The reason I let them mount briefly is then they get somesense of dominance. However, if you let it go on for too long thesubmissive bun may get fed up and try to bite the potential mate,letting them know they have had enough.

Mounting can be incessant the first few days of arelationship. After the first week it will typically decrease. Somerabbits may never mount again, while others will go for an occasionalfling. You may see the mounting behavior reappear if you move therabbits to a new location, or if they can smell another rabbit. Theywill feel the need to reclaim their mate.

One thing to be careful of- you shouldn't let the male mountsbackwards, mounting the face. There is the chance that the female maybite, and accidentally bite his penis off. While this is rare, I doknow of one case where it has happened. I would discourage males fromface mounting."

Though, like I said, I don't consider myself to be anything close to anexpert on the subject (since I've never tried to bond bunnies), I didfind that article to be particularly helpful (since I am researchingthe subject, and planning on bonding three buns together within sixmonths from now).

I recommend reading the article all the way through...it's a tad long, but is immensly helpful! :)

Anyway, hope that helps! :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

Ok thats a relief.I was like oh mygosh is she accualy a male??? We wernt trying to bond them just letthem meet and play for a bit. I dont think we will try itagain:shock::D:?

Latest posts

Back