Meeting The Breeder Soon...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessicalovesjesse

Reaction score
So this lady is realllly nice over the phone.
We talked for a good long while today and she might be coming down to where I am this week and would like to meet up, and maybe even bring me my new bunny.

While I'm super excited I'm also pretty nervous.
For one I have severe social anxiety and fear I might say something wrong or be awkward.
For two, my age never really came up in our conversations.
I'm only 18, and for some reason a few breeders took that as a reg flag. I'm worried this lady might do the same.
I'm responsible, live on my own, work a full time job, AND I'm a great pet owner. But it still kinda worries me.
:nerves1

Oh well. Wish me luck on this one guys.
Hopefully my silly mouth behaves and my age isn't an issue!

< 3 Jessica

Try don't to worry even though it's difficult not too. I can relate to the social anxiety, wish I could help with that but I struggle with it as well. I'm sorry some breeders are taking your age as a red flag, that is not fair. Your legally an adult and sound incredibly responsible. They are being very discriminatory. I wish you luck on the bunny search, stay positive, the right bunny will come along if it doesn't work out with this lady.

Although I understand why a breeder would have restrictions based on age of the potential buyer, many breeders like myself judge these things on a case by case basis. If you seem like a nice, knowledgable, and resposible pet owner, I am definitely not going to refuse a sale.

So just be yourself and you will be fine. :) Rabbit breeders are just normal people too.

I had one breeder who has you fill out a form before adoption approval.
One question is, "Are you over 18?"
Another was, "Is this pet intended for a child under 19?"
I was denied because I was under 19. :/

And my big worry here is the social anxiety/awkwardness mixed with my age.
I know I come across as weird to most people.
I never say the right thing. Most of my time talking to people is spent in awkward silences. Especially if I feel like I'm being, examined or critiqued.
That plus my age could ruin my chances.
I'm great with animals. But I'm pretty pathetic around people.
Which is strange because I have a customer service job...

Hi

I also suffer from social anxiety, so I know what you are going through. I used to work in a department store and it was hard, but it is almost like you become an actor around customers, but a one on one with someone you know you have to impress is a different story! I think if she was really concerned about age, that would have come up. I am assuming that you probaby have a vet that you deal with you can call them up and ask if you can use them as a reference. That way if she is concerned you will have someone you can verify that you take care of your pets, and get them the medical attention they need.

As far as the whole 19 and over thing I don't get, because their are plenty of parents who get their kids a pet and when the kids get tired of it they get rid of it, so really age is just a number.

Good luck with the breeder and I am sure you will do fine and you will have a blast with your new bunny!

Shannon you're so right about the acting thing.
You just kinda go into a different zone and act your way through the day.

As for the vet. I do have one I took my rats to around here.
But since I moved here only recently I don't really know her well at all.
Luckily my babies don't get sick to often. :p
But I do have a family vet we used to take my cat to, and my mom still takes our dogs there.
She's a good bit away, but I bet she would give my a good reference.

That is all you need a good reference, she may not even ask for one, but just proof that you do take the health of your animals serious. I am assuming you will get your bunny fixed in the future to and that shows good faith if your other animals are fixed. Most breeders are just mostly concerned that it is not a fad pet or a spur of the moment pet, and you will be tired of it in a month. And really age has nothing to do with that!!

It might make you feel better to write up a letter a head of time with stuff you want her to know about you, and any questions you have this way you won't be to nervous and forget something.

Is this your first bunny? What breed are you getting, I am sure it is probably in a past thread but I haven't been on for awhile!

petkeeper wrote:
As far as the whole 19 and over thing I don't get, because their are plenty of parents who get their kids a pet and when the kids get tired of it they get rid of it, so really age is just a number.
It really is in the best interest of the rabbit that the buyer be an adult. Breeders get a lot of inquiries from a lot of people and dealing with kids who want rabbits without their parent's approval or teens that want a pet for a few weeks, etc., etc., etc. is not fun. The rabbit is put in a bad situation, the breeder is put in a bad situation, and it wastes time and resources for everyone.

An age limit is definitely unfair for responsible youths, but it always is. One bad apple spoils the bunch, as they say. But I respect those who sell with age limitations because there are valid reasons for it.:)I understand where you're coming from though, for sure!

I would like to point out that I am an adult.
I pay bills, have a job and live on my own.
I'm pretty sure that's the definition of adult.

But I do understand why breeders are wary of children.
I'm simply not a child anymore though.

And thank you so much for the support Shannon.
I'm starting to feel a bit better about this, and have written down things I would like to say/ask.

This will not be my first bunny.
When I was around 9 I got my first rabbit Pippin.
I had him up until 3 months ago.
His loss hit me pretty hard, but I feel like I need another bunny in my life because something is missing.
The breed we are wanting is flemish giant.
I had originally wanted a velveteen lop, but my boyfriend got me interested in the giants.

If I had my bunnies in Colorado I would definately let you have one. Mine arent as big as a flemmy but they have just as much personality. You sound like a very nice person. Don't worry about it. Ask as many questions as you can think of and just relax. I agree with HappiBun, the right bunny will come along

Hope it goes well. With this being your second rabbit and your first having had a nice long life is a darn good sign of a responsible pet owner. My Flemmie and I are rooting for you.

As a rescue, we require an adult to be the adopter and commit to being the primary caregiver. Our definition of an adult is over the age of 18. Of course, that doesn't always work our either! We do an interview (of course) and sometimes even older folks get rejected. I see no reason why you should be rejected simply because of your age.

slavetoabunny wrote:
As a rescue, we require an adult to be the adopter and commit to being the primary caregiver. Our definition of an adult is over the age of 18. Of course, that doesn't always work our either! We do an interview (of course) and sometimes even older folks get rejected. I see no reason why you should be rejected simply because of your age.

It's very true that age isn't a sign of maturity.
I know plenty of people, off all ages, that I would NEVER want to own any sort of pet.

I know people in their 40s that I think should even own a house plannt.

jessicalovesjesse wrote:
I would like to point out that I am an adult.
I pay bills, have a job and live on my own.
I'm pretty sure that's the definition of adult.
I'm sorry, I hope you didn't take my previous post as offensive because I certainly wasn't trying to corner you because of your age. Only trying to point out the reasons that some breeders and also rescues set age limitations.

There are some 7 year olds I've sold bunnies to that were more responsible than 40 year olds. So I certainly don't think age is an indicator of responsibility. I was just trying to explain why some people make restrictions.

Good luck on your search for a bunny, I'm sure that whoever you adopt/buy from will realize what a good home you will be.:D

We've got him!
:clapping::yahoo::weee::pinkbouce::hyper::wiggle

The lady was so nice.
I really worried for nothing I suppose.
Sure I was super awkward, but she didn't seem to think anything of it.

We named him Odin btw.
He was born June 27th, so he is still just a baby.
I met his mom and dad.
They are both huge.
He is a little scared, so i'll let him settle in before I take and pictures.

Latest posts

Back