Meet Hop Tart

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igorsMistress

Reaction score
Hi all :) I'm a first time rabbit owner. I got Hop Tart after my son got 2 rabbits from someone who had basically kicked them outside. When the buns started to dig the owners decided to get rid of them. Since she doesn't get along with their Lionhead Mac I agreed to take her. I've wanted a bunny for a while, their poop is fantastic in the garden!

We live in Phoenix so she'll be an indoor bunny for a while, but I have a nice big space outside for her when the temps are cooler.

We also have 11 adult chickens plus 8 chicks, and 2 Bull Terrier/ Pit Bull mix dogs.

Hop Tart

IMG_3732.jpgIMG_3730.jpg
Temporary housing, still in progress
20200415_160340.jpg
20200415_160350.jpg

I look forward to chatting with you all and learning about rabbits!

Welcome to the forum! That name is so cute!!!!!! If you plan on transitioning her to go outside, be sure to do it in spring sort of time, when the weather is fairly even inside and out. She’s a very pretty bunny! Is she spayed?

Welcome to the forum! That name is so cute!!!!!! If you plan on transitioning her to go outside, be sure to do it in spring sort of time, when the weather is fairly even inside and out. She’s a very pretty bunny! Is she spayed?
Thank you! I've been looking at NIC cubes and may expand her indoor area, then take her out to the coop for outdoor time weather permitting. I don't know if she's spayed, I need to talk to my DIL more.

If you do plan on keeping her indoor enclosure, i wouldn’t use the hutch or you could use it for something else maybe (I’m just not creative enough to know what). But I do understand that you’ve only had her a short while and that is her temporary cage. You’ve got a really nice space there though and you can do a lot with it!
If you need any inspiration, we have a indoor rabbit thread to show all the amazing cages and areas that rabbits can have: 2020 Indoor Cages... add your photo!
I’d also be mindful that rabbits can chew through chicken wire. But with supervision it should be okay.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm in the same area as you. It isn't often the weather is cool enough for taking the buns outside! :D (85F can cause heatstroke) I'm sure she'll enjoy that cool tile floor.

I've had NIC cages before. They can be a good option. Currently I'm using a cage made from an old oven cabinet (the door stays open all day). The following link shows a number of cage setups I've had over the years including those NIC cages. Perhaps they'll give you some ideas.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/indoor-cages.html

Last edited:
I think the OP meant taking outside on occasion. We'll be over 90F by next week, over 100 in May thru mid Sept.:eek: It won't get down to the 70s until mid November. :cool:

Hi all :) I'm a first time rabbit owner. I got Hop Tart after my son got 2 rabbits from someone who had basically kicked them outside. When the buns started to dig the owners decided to get rid of them. Since she doesn't get along with their Lionhead Mac I agreed to take her. I've wanted a bunny for a while, their poop is fantastic in the garden!

We live in Phoenix so she'll be an indoor bunny for a while, but I have a nice big space outside for her when the temps are cooler.

We also have 11 adult chickens plus 8 chicks, and 2 Bull Terrier/ Pit Bull mix dogs.

Hop Tart

View attachment 46651View attachment 46652
Temporary housing, still in progress
View attachment 46653
View attachment 46654

I look forward to chatting with you all and learning about rabbits!
Awe , adorable!

I think the OP meant taking outside on occasion. We'll be over 90F by next week, over 100 in May thru mid Sept.:eek: It won't get down to the 70s until mid November. :cool:
I see you're in AZ as well, and familiar with the weather.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm in the same area as you. It isn't often the weather is cool enough for taking the buns outside! :D (85F can cause heatstroke) I'm sure she'll enjoy that cool tile floor.

I've had NIC cages before. They can be a good option. Currently I'm using a cage made from an old oven cabinet (the door stays open all day). The following link shows a number of cage setups I've had over the years including those NIC cages. Perhaps they'll give you some ideas.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/indoor-cages.html
Thanks so much, I didn't see this reply when I replied to your last post :rolleyes:

I'm not comfortable keeping a rabbit in a tiny cage so the pics will be very helpful. I ended up not doing the NIC cubes, my dogs are 2 bulls in a china shop and I seriously doubt the cage would hold up.

Thanks so much, I didn't see this reply when I replied to your last post :rolleyes:

I'm not comfortable keeping a rabbit in a tiny cage so the pics will be very helpful. I ended up not doing the NIC cubes, my dogs are 2 bulls in a china shop and I seriously doubt the cage would hold up.

You may be right on the NIC cage. Several years back someone here posted that they either had or knew someone who's dogs tore up a cube cage to get the rabbits. I don't know whether or not they had used zip-ties or the (near useless) connectors in that story. My current cage (oven cabinet) would be dog proof. The grid portions are made with wired closet shelving.

We have a couple large dogs (one 65lbs, the other 160lbs) but they are fine with the rabbits. Many dogs can be trained to behave well around rabbits (but not all).

Attachments

• toby & mocha.jpg
    toby & mocha.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Mocha on couch by toby.jpg
    Mocha on couch by toby.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 5
You may be right on the NIC cage. Several years back someone here posted that they either had or knew someone who's dogs tore up a cube cage to get the rabbits. I don't know whether or not they had used zip-ties or the (near useless) connectors in that story. My current cage (oven cabinet) would be dog proof. The grid portions are made with wired closet shelving.

We have a couple large dogs (one 65lbs, the other 160lbs) but they are fine with the rabbits. Many dogs can be trained to behave well around rabbits (but not all).
I'm pretty sure our male would be ok, he just sniffed and nudged a chick that got into their yard. The female? I wouldn't trust her mostly because she loves the chase. It's something we'll work on for sure though.

I'm pretty sure our male would be ok, he just sniffed and nudged a chick that got into their yard. The female? I wouldn't trust her mostly because she loves the chase. It's something we'll work on for sure though.

I've found that dogs see indoor rabbits differently. They can be taught that the indoor rabbit is a member of the "family pack" so to speak. Our labradoodle will chase a jackrabbit (or lizard, or cottontail) in a heartbeat but leaves the indoor rabbits alone.

I've found that dogs see indoor rabbits differently. They can be taught that the indoor rabbit is a member of the "family pack" so to speak. Our labradoodle will chase a jackrabbit (or lizard, or cottontail) in a heartbeat but leaves the indoor rabbits alone.
You're making me feel a lot less concerned, thanks so much.

I purchased a second dog play pen that I can add on. Once that's here and set up I'm going to take the sheet off the front of her pen and start a see but don't touch period.

Yep , my dogs are very good with my buns , and guinea pigs!

Latest posts

Back