Meat Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totally agree with Pam, in that your post covers all aspects of thetopic quite fully and accurately, and in a manner that does not incitepeople to repy with rancor and harshness.

Let's see more of you here. It is nice to get perspectivessuch as yours. People here do attempt to keep an open mind,which is really nice.

Buck

Ditto. Excellent post Bob. Would like to have your opinion aired more often!

Raspberry

LittleMija wrote:
I think that topic originally began as a bunnylover talkingabout how her sweet babies have " the life". Thats what i like to read,a post about a bunny owner who rescued her bun and spoils thier buns todeath. I didnt know it would be about snakes eating bunnies or?Iwouldnt have kept reading.??So in responce, it wasnt really possible toanticipate the content of the post. But definatly in the future?I willtry to stear clear of such issues.

Hi LittleMija,

I think understand where you're coming from. To me, it just soundedlike you are selective in your reading posts of that nature.

I know what you mean about that post taking a turn in a direction that it didn't start out in. You'll have this.

I felt badly for the original poster whom felt that she had 'started something' by just sharing a happy story with us.

I know that you might sometimes get blindsighted by this as some of the other posters have.

We've certainly learned from breeders and breeders have learned from pet owners. Extremist attitudes lead to ignorance.

Let's stay on the same page by remembering that we're here to learn about rabbits, not to judge which side is right or better.

Sensitivity to both sides go a long way to understanding and knowledge.

Welcome to the forum, Bob.

-Carolyn

dmmcnair wrote:

There are folks out there that curse me for beinga hunter "your killing bambi!" No, I'm not, I'm managing the deerpopulation so they don't over produce and not have enough to eat andbecome either starved and/or ill.

Dawn

In our neck of the woods, it is the rare driver who has *not* hit adeer. After shelling out the $500 deductable a couple times,one becomes less fond of "Bambi" running all over :?

Pam

Afer everyone wastalking about what breeds their rabbits were, I went searching onlinefor what Elf might be. I laughed when I found out she was a Palominoand that Palominos are primarily bred as meat rabbits. My husbandteases Elf by calling her his lil hosenpheffer. She certainly is"meaty" :D

Needless to say, she will never bestewed. Perhaps her bloodlines have contributed to her laid back,mellow attitude. She's such a sweetie.

In our neck of the woods, it is the rare driverwho has *not* hit a deer. After shelling out the $500deductable a couple times, one becomes less fond of "Bambi" running allover :?

Pam

I don't blame you. I am one of the lucky ones and have not hit a deeryet with my truck...I much prefer the tradional huntingmethod!:D Our deductible is way to high for a darn deer!

Dawn

My grandparentstotaled one of their cars on a deer. My father used to hunt them untilmy sister was born in the middle of deer season and my mom wouldn't lethim go out to the camp anymore (they camped quite a long way fromhome). My sister once came upon an accident where they had run into adeer, and convinced the driver to let her throw the deer in the back ofher truck. We had venison stew quite a few times.It's one of those animalsthat I'm surprised wasn't domesticated for a meat staple.

Venison's good eatin! We use groundvenison instead of beef usually. It's funny, but when I firsthad venison about oh 8 or so years ago, I hated it. It wasreally gamey and just tasted funny. When I met my hubby andhis family (who are big hunters) I tried it again at their insistenceand it was great! I found out it depends on how fast the deeris cleaned and basically who does the butchering that makes or breaksvenison. We have a fav in our family it's venison sausagethat has jalapenos and cheddar cheese in it. It'sawesome!!!! And my hubby does a great venison stew.I am still learning venison recipes since I am still pretty new toit.

A funny story...my folks (not hunters, against it, hate venison andwill never eat it,etc) came for a visit. I cookedup the jalapeno/cheddar sausage for them, but I didn't tell them whatit was. They ate it up like there was no tomorrow!!! I didfinally tell them what it was and they were so surprised!!!

I didn't hunt last season because I was pregnant with mydaughter. My mother always told me if you kill something whenyou are pregnant that the child will look like and act like whateveryou killed. She was very adamant about not killing anythingwhile I was pregnant. I think she jinxed my dove hunting!!!!

Dawn

PS Elfmommy, that's one adorable bunbun you got there. Ithink most of the larger rabbits are or were bred for thefryer. Our buns are lucky we took them home with us! Bubbawould have been bound for the fryer if the breeder couldn't find a homefor him because he wasn't winning any shows!!!

Back