Meat Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score

Undoubtedly there are going to be meat rabbit questions that will come up in this forum.

Pet Owners: When such posts come up, some of them may be hard to read.If you wish not to know of the subject or think it will upset you,please don't read it.

Rabbits Only is here to help everyone.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, I'm glad that you clarifiedthis. I thought that this forum was exclusively fordiscussion in relation to companion buns.

I would have been on the warpath! :)

ew yucky.... people eat rabbits? I wouldn't thinkyou'd get much meat off of them anyway.... :(but I guesseveryone likes their own styles of cookin'....

BunnyMommy. :)

This forum is for anyone with questions about rabbits.

Actually, I think that's the beauty of Rabbits Only. They allow everyone and we can all learn from each other. :)

In the words of the Lion King: "It's the Circle of Life". When therabbits in England were down to a minimal in numbers due to disease, itdisrupted the whole animal kingdom.

-Carolyn

Actually, MyBunnyLovesMe, rabbit meat is a great source of protein and low fat.

I personally don't eat it, but I do eat pig, chicken, cow, shellfish and other animals that were alive at one point.

This thread could get sensitive to you guys.

Forewarned is Forearmed. That's why I posted this.

Take what you like and leave the rest from the posts on this forum.

-Carolyn

I completely understand, Lissa.

Believe me, I do.

-Carolyn

I do not eat rabbit and the subject horrifies mebut this forum is for everyone and I also eat meat and I know animalswere raised for meat purposes before they became pets. As a rabbitlover I believe we should be open to help people even if they breed formeat because maybe something some one says can make the life of a meatrabbit easier and they are humanly destroyed when the timecomes. As rabbit lovers we cn not stop this but in a sutleway maybe make a rabbits life healthier and better for the short time.I feel bad about meat rabbits because some of my best guys are NZW andknow what wonderful pets they can be

Bunty, even though the thought of discussion ofrabbits as a nutrition source horrifies me, I think that you present awonderfully enlightened perspective, one that makes sense and on somelevel "justifies" for lack of a better word discourse in this area.

P.S....although I personally still plan to steer clear of those types of posts.

"Circle of Life"

Every single bun that is in a pet owner's care is lucky.

When the posts come up, don't read them if you think it'll upset you.

:)

-Carolyn

Humane rabbit meat producers raise them in ahumane way. Some have pet rabbits, but they usually don'tname their livestock. Our dairy farmer friends raise beef forfood. Similarly, they are not named, as are the milk cows.

I think the topic can be broached without antagonizing everyone, and Ithink Carolyn has the sense to know how to handle it. It onlybecomes problematical when someone becomes insensitive toanother person's position, or trolls come in looking for, and fomentingtrouble in any way that they can.

The "old " Rabbits Only Forum had a history of being "open"to all, and I think I learned more in that environment than some of thestrictly pet forums I visited. Pets only forums rarely seemedto have the broad based experience level that breeders and meatproducers can often bring to a discussion.

I don't breed, don't intend to breed, nor do I show, but I do seek moreinformation about rabbit keeping from any source that will provideit. That is why I, personally, joined ARBA(American RabbitBreeders Association), in lieu of some other, strictly pet orientedorganizations.

ARBA is open to all rabbit fanciers and links to otherorganizations, in order to make your search for informationeasier; unlike some other national and internationalorganizations, which remain very parochial and adamant in that theirpositions are the ONLY valid ones. Too dictatorial for mytastes!

I will use the, ofttimes, very creditable information they distribute,and recommend it to others, but will not accept apartyline because they say I must. I reservethe right to make up my own mind.

Free ranging rabbits, for example, is anathema to some of theseorganizations.We've been doing it for years, in spite oftheir harbingering of doom, and will continue to do it, as longasour buns so obviously seem to enjoy it.

Anyway, I digress. I think we're intelligent enough here to understandwe're all not exactly alike in our philosophical approaches to life,but that we can still learn something of value about our furry littlefriends.

Off my soap box! Apologize if I bored anyone.

Buck :)

OOOPS,

I sell meat Rabbits. Or some of my rabbits rather go as a source ofnutrition for either Human or Animal consumption. I see nothing wrongwith the use of rabbits as a food source, so long as it is done in themost humane manner possible. I understand that some on this forum orany other will find the mere thought of it distasteful. [No punintended] One must realize that rabbits were a meat source LONG beforethey were ever thought of as pets. If I didn't take proper care of myrabbits they would never prosper. There are many uses for rabbits,Wool: to make clothing, Pets for those who wish to go that route,Showing , in which case one must constantly breed toward improvement.Not every rabbit can find a Pet-home, nor should it! Any animal thatlacks a healthy constitution should NOT, in MPO. be palmed off on a petperson. This is what leads to rabbits needing contant and expensivemedical attention. IMPO this should not be. With proper culling andbreeding techniques disease can eventually be eradicated or at the veryleast brought to a bare minimum. I have my favorites but I don't makemy charges Pets as a rule. So sorry if I offended anyone. Just thoughtanother point of view was needed.:dude:'s

Dennis,C.V.R. [Don't KILL the Messenger!]

HankHanky wrote:
Sosorry if I offended anyo\ne. Just thought another point of view wasneeded.:dude:'s

Dennis,C.V.R. [Don't KILL the Messenger!]
Hi, Hank! LOL! No offense taken. In mysituation, I just didn't know that the forum was open for alldiscussions related to rabbits. I thought that it wasexclusively acompanion bun forum.

I think that Buck summed it up best when he said, "I think we'reintelligent enough here to understand we're all not exactly alike inour philosophical approaches to life, but that we can still learnsomething of value about our furry little friends."

Carolyn's directive makes everything an easy fix: Stay awayfrom topics that might distress us; participate inothers. Hopefully, we'll all be able to find enough commonground every now and then so that we can still interact with a varietyof posters, be they pet owners, breeders, whatever. :)

BTW, I've posted in response to several of your posts, but you neverresponded.

:X Tucker's such a cocky pig! He just stole 1/2 of my fortune cookie! :X

Nooooooo, I'm not gonna turn him into a meat rabbit!!

-Carolyn

Bunnymommy wrote:
See, Carolyn ... you're a little ungrateful.

Be glad he didn't take the wholecookie!
LMAO!So true! That's hilarious, you're making my tummy hurt from laughing!

Laura, Moch, & Spice

BTW, I've posted in response to several of yourposts, but you neverresponded.

BunnyMommy,

please don't take offence. Perhaps I didn't answer because I did nothave an/the answer. Or could this have been when I was going threewaysfrom the middle? I still am quite the busy-Bee geting the Hse and yardinto a presentable condition for the arrival of the my College gradutedaughter & family to celebrate. Total cleanup! Barns torn downand removed or rebuilt. I LOVE Demolition! Rebuilding is a PAIN in theRectum! Still busy, but not as. If I can help you in any way in thefuture I will gladly do so. Please accept my humble apologies. [Saysthe OGRE as he allows the traveler topass!]

Dennis,C.V.R.:cool:

I sympathize, HankHanky, with all the work you're doing, but it's going to look so good for the party. Keep up the good work!

Thanks M&SMom and Bunnymommy. I suppose you'll tell me now that hewas protecting me from myself eating the cookie? *giggles*

I can't win against Tucker in here.

Thanks for putting me back in my place.

-Carolyn

Back