Me and Humphrey :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelann

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Rachel this is my first time owning a rabbit... It was actually kind of thrusted on me! My friends brother bought her a bunny for christmas even though she told him no, but he did it anyway. Well long story short she was afraid that her son was going to hurt the rabbit when she wasn't looking * he has autism*. He wasn't being mean he just doesn't understand that a bunny does not want to be squished! Anyways, so she asked me to take him until she found him a home, but my husband and I feel in love.
We don't know much about bunnies, so I figured it would probably be a good idea to be a part of a community where I could come and ask questions! I am not sure how old he is, I do know he is a boy for sure ( I looked :) He was NOT happy). I have a vet appt set up for him next week so I am sure I will find out more then. I ordered him a cage from petco, still waiting for it to come in. For now he is sleeping in a med size kennel, but he has roam of the sun room during the day. Which is bunny proof!

Anyways, enough about us! I look forward to talking with all of you!

Rachel & Humphrey
CIMG0453.jpg

CIMG0444.jpg

CIMG0433.jpg

[align=center]Awww, He's cute! <3 Congrats! =]

Welcome to the forum, from me, Solara, Sabriel, and Silas =]

Isn't he just darn cute! I was wondering what kind of bunny he was. I figured he was a mix though because of his coat :) The only long hair he has is the tuff right between his ears. What a character this guy is! He does not like being put to bed, and he lets me know! When I let him out in the morning he zooms all over the place and jumps in the air like "yippee, I'm free!"

OMG HE IS GORGEOUS!!!!

good on you for giving him a new home :)

he looks like he might be a lionhead mix of some sort due to the hair around his neck?

good on you for giving him lots of free roam time!

i think the most important thing in rabbits is definitely diet!

he should be eating unlimited grass hay (like timothy or oaten hay) and a small cup of GOOD QUALITY pellets (like oxbow or kaytee complete - less than 3% fat, around 16% protein and more than 21% fibre) [note, those figures are off the top of my head so someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong]. more often than not plain greeny looking pellets are the best. any of the pellet mixes are bad because they ahve things bunnies shouldnt eat (like grains and corn) or have brightly coloured "treats" which are too high in sugar, and also encourage selective feeding)

<3

This the the food that I bought for him, it is from Kaytee. I trust their food so I figured it was good! I went by the guidelines of if there is something in there that I wouldn't feed my dog I wouldn't feed it to Humphrey. (mostly concerning corn). He does have timothy hay, but he has yet to touch it? I was a little concerned about that. I do feed him a good mix of veggies and only about an 1/8 of a cup of pellets. I was even thinking about cutting it back to half to see if that would encourage him to eat his hay?

KAYTEE Forti-Diet Pro Health Rabbit (Adult)

KAYTEE® Forti-Diet® Pro Health™ is a Nutritionally Enhanced Daily Diet that provides the essential nutrients your pet needs for a long, healthy life.

With DHA OMEGA-3 - Supports Heart, Brain & Visual Functions

Rich in Natural Antioxidants - For general health and immune support

Probiotics & Prebiotics -Natural ingredients that aid in digestive health

Naturally Preserved - For ideal freshness

Rich in fiber - Essential for proper function of the gastrointestinal tract

Yucca – For odor control

Promotes a soft, healthy coat
Ingredients:
Sun-cured Timothy Grass Hay, Sun-cured Alfalfa Meal, Ground Oats, Ground Oat Hulls, Dried Cane Molasses, Ground Flax Seed, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Rice, Salt, Whole Cell Algae Meal (source of Omega-3 DHA), Fructooligosaccharide, Dicalcium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, Yeast Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid, Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Dried A. oryzae Fermentation Extract (source of protease), Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Artificial Color. Allergen information: Manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts and other tree nuts.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.).............12.0%
Crude Fat (min.)....................2.5%
Crude Fiber (min.)................20.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).................25.0%
Moisture (max.)....................12.0%

Calcium (min.)......................0.3%
Calcium (max.)......................0.8%
Phosphorus (min.)...................0.3%
Salt (min.)........................0.25%
Salt (max.)....................... 0.75%
Vitamin A (min.)..............2500 IU/lb
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min.)..........0.4%
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (min.)..0.03%
Total Bacillus Species (min.) ..100,000 CFU/gram

so do you mean they should not have corn at all or just as a treat? :ph34r2 I give our bunnies a fresh ear of corn once a month or so.

Cheyrul wrote:
so do you mean they should not have corn at all or just as a treat? :ph34r2 I give our bunnies a fresh ear of corn once a month or so.

corn is on the "not safe for rabbits to eat" list. they should never have corn, beans or most grains

rachelann wrote:
This the the food that I bought for him, it is from Kaytee. I trust their food so I figured it was good! I went by the guidelines of if there is something in there that I wouldn't feed my dog I wouldn't feed it to Humphrey. (mostly concerning corn). He does have timothy hay, but he has yet to touch it? I was a little concerned about that. I do feed him a good mix of veggies and only about an 1/8 of a cup of pellets. I was even thinking about cutting it back to half to see if that would encourage him to eat his hay?

KAYTEE Forti-Diet Pro Health Rabbit (Adult)

KAYTEE® Forti-Diet® Pro Health™ is a Nutritionally Enhanced Daily Diet that provides the essential nutrients your pet needs for a long, healthy life.

With DHA OMEGA-3 - Supports Heart, Brain & Visual Functions

Rich in Natural Antioxidants - For general health and immune support

Probiotics & Prebiotics -Natural ingredients that aid in digestive health

Naturally Preserved - For ideal freshness

Rich in fiber - Essential for proper function of the gastrointestinal tract

Yucca – For odor control

Promotes a soft, healthy coat
Ingredients:
Sun-cured Timothy Grass Hay, Sun-cured Alfalfa Meal, Ground Oats, Ground Oat Hulls, Dried Cane Molasses, Ground Flax Seed, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Rice, Salt, Whole Cell Algae Meal (source of Omega-3 DHA), Fructooligosaccharide, Dicalcium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, Yeast Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid, Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Dried A. oryzae Fermentation Extract (source of protease), Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Artificial Color. Allergen information: Manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts and other tree nuts.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.).............12.0%
Crude Fat (min.)....................2.5%
Crude Fiber (min.)................20.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).................25.0%
Moisture (max.)....................12.0%

Calcium (min.)......................0.3%
Calcium (max.)......................0.8%
Phosphorus (min.)...................0.3%
Salt (min.)........................0.25%
Salt (max.)....................... 0.75%
Vitamin A (min.)..............2500 IU/lb
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min.)..........0.4%
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (min.)..0.03%
Total Bacillus Species (min.) ..100,000 CFU/gram

wow seems you are on the right track already. perhaps cutting down on pellets may encourage hay consumption, i've also heard of people lightly misting the hay with 100% apple juice to encourage him to eat more (if it smells sweeter maybe he will like it better). sometimes i sprinkle a few rolled oats through my bunnies hay to encourage them to eat and also to forage etc.

I will have to try that, I did end up cutting his pellet intake in half and he nibbled on a some hay today. I honestly don't think he was ever offered it before, or if he was he has not had it in a long time. I also cut his veggies in half today to see if that would promote his eating of the hay. That seemed to do the trick so I am going to slowly reintroduce the foods in small amounts. He seems to have doubled his size in the last 2 days!

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.
Why shouldn't rabbits have corn?

The reason rabbits can't have corn is because they cannot digest it. It builds up in the stomach and will eventually kill them.

Avoid any rabbit food that has pieces of corn and any colored bits in it.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

There's a lot of debate about corn. Some people think it's okay. Rabbits can digest corn, just not the hulls. And some rabbits have had blockages from the hulls. So personally,I don't think rabbits need it in their diet. Plus, as was mentioned, corn is high energy, so can cause obesity. Stick tohay andleafy greens! ;)

As for hay, if you can get him eating more hay, that's definitely a good thing. Butso long as he's getting his greens, he's getting fibre, and that's what's most important!

I had Gus on Kaytee's all timothy blend and it seemed like a good feed. The yucca extract does wonders for the litter box odours! ;)

Hope that helps!

Rue

Welcome to RO, It really is a fantsastic forum with a lot of lovely, friendly, helpful people. I joined in November when I had an accidental pregnancy and got a lot of help. Although my poor Thimble was a bit young to be a mum at 8months and sadly 3 of the kits didn't survive. I now have Toots and Branston my 3 moth old bruiser boys too to complete my family of 5 (Bobbin the accidental dad and Button the Giant french lop uncle!). ! warning though. Rabbits are addictive and you just can't live without them once you have them!

Godd luck with your beautiful new addition to your family x

Latest posts

Back