May have lost 2 more ounces?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
[align=center]Sabriel lost 4 ounces in one week due to his cone and cast. We try to feed him as much as possible and he just doesn't eat a lot at one time. And now he may have (if our scale is right) lost 2 more ounces... I'm really worried. We're giving him oats, sunflower seeds (raw without the shell), and now I'm giving him apple juice in his water (also to entice him to drink more) and I've given him an alfalfa cube to chew on when outta his cone and I'm gunna give him more treats.

Anything else I can do?

Since Sparky has been ill she has lost a little over a pound. She is still not eating well due to her ongoing dental issues, but I have her eating 35cc's of Critical Care 4x per day. She's not gaining any weight, but hasn't lost any more. I'd like to try and increase her feed by one more per day until she's able to eat on her own.

Yield wrote:

[align=center]Sabriel lost 4 ounces in one week due to his cone and cast. We try to feed him as much as possible and he just doesn't eat a lot at one time. And now he may have (if our scale is right) lost 2 more ounces... I'm really worried. We're giving him oats, sunflower seeds (raw without the shell), and now I'm giving him apple juice in his water (also to entice him to drink more) and I've given him an alfalfa cube to chew on when outta his cone and I'm gunna give him more treats.

Anything else I can do?

pleaese excuse me if i sound rude/stupid--this is a rabbit,,yes??--if so please adhere to the information on this forum,..it is vital to the rabbit to have 70% fiber from (ie) timothy hay in the diet.( this is basically a non-digestible product to keep the-teeth at length and vitalintestinal tract working properly)---only a small portion of the diet is digestible food,..-in my opinion-the rabbit is already in distress-(gi stasis)-and in need of a exotic specailist (dvm)attention,..lets pray your scale is broke,,--i too use a scale--an--a/d digital-it is an excellent source of information for/with a prey animal diagnostics--here is a link to excellent information http://www.medirabbit.com .//-let us know sincerely james waller[/align]

james waller wrote:
pleaese excuse me if i sound rude/stupid--this is a rabbit,,yes??--if so please adhere to the information on this forum,..it is vital to the rabbit to have 70% fiber from (ie) timothy hay in the diet.( this is basically a non-digestible product to keep the-teeth at length and vital intestinal tract working properly)---only a small portion of the diet is digestible food,..-in my opinion-the rabbit is already in distress-(gi stasis)- and in need of a exotic specailist (dvm)attention,..lets pray your scale is broke,,--i too use a scale--an--a/d digital-it is an excellent source of information for/with a prey animal diagnostics--here is a link to excellent information http://www.medirabbit.com .//-let us know sincerely james waller[/align][/quote]

[align=center]Well yeah, this is a rabbit. It's in a RABBIT forum infirmary section.

Yes, you are sounding quite rude. He EATS. HE IS NOT IN DISTRESS. I never said he doesn't eat. He is not in GI Stasis. He is eating a CRAP LOAD. BUT RABBITS ARE GRAZERS. He can't have food all of the time because of the DANG CONE that prevents him from LICKING HIS CAST.

HE ALWAYS HAS HAY. TIMOTHY. He is also getting some alfalfa for extra calcium for his leg.

I already know this stuff. I just want to know how to get him to gain some weight back and keep it there........ thanks for your help though.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Since Sparky has been ill she has lost a little over a pound. She is still not eating well due to her ongoing dental issues, but I have her eating 35cc's of Critical Care 4x per day. She's not gaining any weight, but hasn't lost any more. I'd like to try and increase her feed by one more per day until she's able to eat on her own.

[align=center]Is critical diet through a syringe? Do you think I'll need to do that?

Hi Bailee, yes Critical Care is 99% through a syringe. However I have heard of some Bunnies that eat it out of a dish.

As far as I know you need to get it from a Vet (at least in Canada you do). It is really good for them, my Buttercup was on it a couple of years ago for about a week when he was very ill and it helped him gain weight.

Good luck.

Susan:)

Usually, Critical Care is fed only when the rabbit will not eat on their own. I would ask your vet if Sabriel's diet should be supplemented with this. You can get it through your vet or any feed store that carries Oxbow products can order it for you. I can get 1-pound bags through my feed store for $20 each.

Yeild: I know you are trying your best with Sabriel. When you are home, could you take off the cone and let him eat all that he wants without the cone on. I don't know if you are already doing this, but it is what I did with Prince when he broke his leg. When I was home, he had is e-collar off so he could eat and such. When I wasn't home, he had the e-collar on so that he would lick or chew his leg and make it worse.

Rabbits can still eat and everything even when they are in GI stasis. Sweetie has mild GI stasis and she still eats, poops, and pees.

With the cone and the cast, your Sabriel is in distress because he cannot do the things he wants to do.

I would get a hay rack, the one that looks like a ball you can fill with hay, and hang it in his cage for him to get at his hay.

Sweetie wrote:
Yeild: I know you are trying your best with Sabriel. When you are home, could you take off the cone and let him eat all that he wants without the cone on. I don't know if you are already doing this, but it is what I did with Prince when he broke his leg. When I was home, he had is e-collar off so he could eat and such. When I wasn't home, he had the e-collar on so that he would lick or chew his leg and make it worse.

Rabbits can still eat and everything even when they are in GI stasis. Sweetie has mild GI stasis and she still eats, poops, and pees.

With the cone and the cast, your Sabriel is in distress because he cannot do the things he wants to do.

I would get a hay rack, the one that looks like a ball you can fill with hay, and hang it in his cage for him to get at his hay.

I usually take his cone off to eat. I cannot for a long time anymore for he IMMEDIATELY goes to his foot and licks his cast. I cannot make him stop. He has licked it so much it makes it damp. Which is not good. It distracts him so much sometimes he won't eat as much as he does with his cone on. He eats just fine with the cone on, and even eats more pellets with it on than with it off. He eats hay all the time in his cage with it on, he can reach it.. but that ball thing sounds much more useful, would it work in a dog cage? Cause that's what he's in. Is what you're talking about like that veggie ball thing at thepet store? If GI stasis bunnies still eat when in GI stasis how can we find out if he is in it? Because he seems just fine all around. I'll ask the vet on Monday as well.

Yield wrote:
Sweetie wrote:

I usually take his cone off to eat. I cannot for a long time anymore for he IMMEDIATELY goes to his foot and licks his cast. I cannot make him stop. He has licked it so much it makes it damp. Which is not good. It distracts him so much sometimes he won't eat as much as he does with his cone on. He eats just fine with the cone on, and even eats more pellets with it on than with it off. He eats hay all the time in his cage with it on, he can reach it.. but that ball thing sounds much more useful, would it work in a dog cage? Cause that's what he's in. Is what you're talking about like that veggie ball thing at thepet store? If GI stasis bunnies still eat when in GI stasis how can we find out if he is in it? Because he seems just fine all around. I'll ask the vet on Monday as well.

It should fit in the dog crate. It isn't a veggie rack.

Here is the one I am talking about:

http://www.petco.com/product/13699/Super-Pet-Rollin--The-Hay-Spinning-Hay-and-Salad-Dispenser.aspx

The way you can tell is the vet will do an xray to see if there are any blockages. If he does have a blockage, pineapple juice will help him get through it.

thank you so much. And it's alright. No matter how much trouble I ho through with him, I'll still be with him and still love him and that's all that matters, right? :)

Patti, my vet never mentioned that as a possibility?
Thank you so much Sweetie!
Good news! He has not lost any more weight! =]
And Dr. Parks said that his leg is currenty more.. connevcted and not as loose/limp as it was before! Hope that means its healing properly =]

You're welcome Yield. I understand what you are going through as I have went through it myself. That is great news that Sabriel is not losing any more weight.

Sweetie wrote:
You're welcome Yield. I understand what you are going through as I have went through it myself. That is great news that Sabriel is not losing any more weight.

Yeah =[ It's really hard. It feels like it's been forever and it's only been like two weeks!
Yeah it is =] I'm so happy.

Yield wrote:
Sweetie wrote:

Yeah =[ It's really hard. It feels like it's been forever and it's only been like two weeks!
Yeah it is =] I'm so happy.
Hang in there, you are doing a great job! I am still hoping that he heals up quickly and gets back to his normal routine soon.

Latest posts

Back