may get kicked out of our apartment- please think of us today!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
My husband and I have lived in the same apartment for 4 years this May. It was VERY hard to find a pet friendly apartment, but we managed to find this one and we've liked it enough that we've wanted to stay for years! It's an end unit on a triplex and we have our own little fenced in yard (the yard is bigger than the apartment) and the location is just perfect. We've been quite happy here. The owners of the triplex decided to sell the building though and, unsurprisingly, the new owners and new property management company do not want pets in any of the units. For some bizarre reason the new owners did not actually ever come into our unit so they didn't know we have pets, but I'm honest so the first thing I did when we got the phone number of the new property managers was call them up and tell them about the pets.

To make a long story short, this afternoon the property managers will be coming over to our apartment to look at it and decide if the pets look clean enough to allow us to stay in the unit. As you can imagine, this is very unsettling because I've never had people come over specifically to judge my housekeeping skills. All of the cages have been gone over with a fine toothed comb and are practically gleaming and the rest of the apartment is clean and tidy enough to be in a magazine. We've also offered to pay an extra pet deposit or pet rent or something. The building is almost 65 years old and is in pretty rough shape (I don't think the carpets have been replaced in like 10 years) but our pets have not done any damage to anything. They didn't even clean the unit before we moved in and I can guarantee it will be a lot cleaner when we move out than when we moved in! I'm really, really hoping they will let us stay and not make us move out! If they do, we have only 1 month to find a new place and move in. So, please think of us today!

I am thinking of you, good luck!

I know how hard it is to rent and own animals.
I'm in one of the only pet friendly buildings where I live, there aren't really any other options other then this place, so I would be lost if I were in your position.

I hope they think it will be okay, if you went over them that much I think they would be. Lets hope they're not animal hating people. I think your honesty would only help you at this point, so hopefully they come over with good terms.

Again, good luck and keep us updated.

I'm so sorry to hear this, I think if a new manager takes over or new owner the same rules should apply unless they are causing problems which yours obviously are not. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Wow I wish you luck. I actually moved into an apartment building that says "NO PETS". Well I've never seen so many dogs in one building. They know I have the rabbits. The Super is fine with it, the property manager seemed ok too.

When i was fumigated a couple of weeks ago for the ants I mentioned in a letter that I saw moths in my apartment. So the idiot who fumigated is trying to blame the rabbit food. Needless to say I know one of my neighbours had tons of moths in her apartment last year and I have spoken to people in the laundry room that also have moths. Honesty I hate apartment living.

Believe me if they even make the smallest suggestion about my pets and making me leave I will raise such a stink with the owners, the Town of Ajax... I've already spoken to the town about the ants.

Honestly I didn't realize that the apartment building has many tenants that are geared to income. Some paying as little as $250. where I'm paying over $1000.

Anyways is it not against the law (here in Canada you cannot be kicked out during the winter and I am under the impression they have to give you more notice than a month.

Susan:pray:

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! I really hope it goes well. They said they'd be here between 3 and 5 so I still have almost 3 hours to go. I baked cookies last night and I'm going to offer them cookies. Everyone likes cookies, right?

Maybe I should have said what pets we have. 4 bunnies, 3 cockatiels, 2 rats. The rats live together and so do 2 of the birds. One of the ratties won't be with us much longer (she's very old and not doing well). I guess it may seem like a lot of pets to some people, but I handle them just fine and they're all pretty spoiled.

Sooska, it would be nice if they had a rule about not kicking out tenants in the winter! Fairbanks, Alaska is not exactly a temperate climate. Sorry to hear you're having so many problems with your apartment. It sounds like a complete pain. I think we've been pretty lucky until now. I wish the new owners had kept the old property management company. We're good renters who don't cause any problems and have always paid on time, and my husband regularly fixed the property management company's computers for them so we were on very good terms. They could have vouched for us!

If they give you grief perhaps you can get a letter from the previous people explaining that you pay on time, don't cause problems, etc.

When we moved into our house the land lord was not thrilled with our pets (at that time fish and two cats). Over the years he has let us add to our little zoo. We now have 2 cats, 2 bunnies, 2 turtles, 9 birds, 2 gerbils, 1 forg, and 2 fish tanks. He knows all about them because he is our pet sitter (lives next door). :)

The important thing is that the animals do not cause any damage and are well taken care of. I hope these people see that the pets are not a risk to their investment. Good luck!

Sooska, that is actually a common thing people hear which is not true.

My mom works at the Brampton court house in small claims (they deal with mostly evictions and such) and people usually think that they can not be evicted during the winter. Some people will even stop paying rent during the winter because of this.

But they actually can, it is just the courts office usually tries to tell the evictor to wait until it warms up a bit. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they do not.

Anyways, off topic.

Good luck with the cookies, it would win me over for sure!

They still have to give you 60 days notice if I remember correctly. While not a long period of time its much better than 30 days. Look up renter's rights for your state and see what it says.

I hope that you keep your place. You could also explain that caged animals are quiet and don't make any noise.

The "NO PETS" policy appplies to cats and dogs, you have to ask about caged animals to see if they are allowed, because some apartments will allow caged animals but not cats and/or dogs. I have done this when looking for an apartment when my name came up for Section 8 Housing.

People paying $250 are probably on Section 8 Housing. Section 8 pays the other portion of the rent.

nermal71 wrote:
They still have to give you 60 days notice if I remember correctly. While not a long period of time its much better than 30 days. Look up renter's rights for your state and see what it says.
Landlords can give you 30days to vacate your apartment, because you are paying monthly rent. If you are on a lease they cannot evict you until your lease is up. I think that is where you are thinking that they have to give a person 60 days notice.

My friend's apartment complex changed owners last year and the new owners changed the rule to no pets allowed but any tenants already living there were allowed to keep their pets. They were "grandfathered in".

Hopefully you can keep living there if they see its clean and you are good tenants.

Still sitting here and waiting! We sign a 1 year lease each year, our current lease expires in August. Before the building was sold, we asked the former property manager about the laws and she said our lease could be canceled with 30 days notice by the new owners for whatever reason they wanted (like if they wanted to move into our unit or something) and that they have the right to raise the rent cost even though we have a lease. Though we could leave the lease early if they did choose to raise the rent.

Oh also, Phoebe has been disregarding her litter box for pee some lately. All urine is still contained in the cage, no problem, and I wipe it up right away. She'll go for a couple weeks without any tinkle incidents, but today she has done it TWICE! Phoebe, PLEASE do not pee off the shelf of your cage when the apartment people are here! :grumpy:

Back